Beginner Constructive criticism wanted.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
I wasnt really sure if these images fit into this forum or not so I do apologize if they don't.

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_112503_711.jpg
    IMG_20200330_112503_711.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200406_123356_260.jpg
    IMG_20200406_123356_260.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 42
  • SquarePic_20200410_20053542.jpg
    SquarePic_20200410_20053542.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200401_104749_179.jpg
    IMG_20200401_104749_179.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 42
  • SquarePic_20200412_18460661.jpg
    SquarePic_20200412_18460661.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 41
I'd probably have put them in 'general' but there are urban aspects too and it really doesn't matter. :)

It's much easier to offer crit if you can embed them, either via an external host like Flickr, or by uploading them to TP's galleries, and then posting the full size images in the page - otherwise one is switching back & forth between image and text box.

1) Nice colours, good lead lines & composition, looks soft (possibly because of small size). The junk to the right of the lamps & ladder spoils the skyline for me, & I'd try to clone it out if possible.

2) Nice colours (again) good strong lead lines, looks soft. It's not quite level, image tilting down to the right.

3) Not keen on the image over an image effect here. Main image tones need controlling a little more, lifting shadows, holding back highlights, otherwise comments above apply. Image tilting down to the right.

4) Nice simple abstract, otherwise comments as 1). If it were mine I'd want to soften the onionrings in the very dominant bokeh-balls.

5) Least impressive of the set as presented here. Main image - blown highlights & garish colours, needs better control over highlight & shadow tones plus lack of contrast and excitement. IMO image needed to be shot to place the subject higher, although if I hide the background image with my arms over the screen the main photo looks better balanced.

This is only intended to be helpful, and not personal in any way.

I'd probably have put them in 'general' but there are urban aspects too and it really doesn't matter. :)

It's much easier to offer crit if you can embed them, either via an external host like Flickr, or by uploading them to TP's galleries, and then posting the full size images in the page - otherwise one is switching back & forth between image and text box.

1) Nice colours, good lead lines & composition, looks soft (possibly because of small size). The junk to the right of the lamps & ladder spoils the skyline for me, & I'd try to clone it out if possible.

2) Nice colours (again) good strong lead lines, looks soft. It's not quite level, image tilting down to the right.

3) Not keen on the image over an image effect here. Main image tones need controlling a little more, lifting shadows, holding back highlights, otherwise comments above apply. Image tilting down to the right.

4) Nice simple abstract, otherwise comments as 1). If it were mine I'd want to soften the onionrings in the very dominant bokeh-balls.

5) Least impressive of the set as presented here. Main image - blown highlights & garish colours, needs better control over highlight & shadow tones plus lack of contrast and excitement. IMO image needed to be shot to place the subject higher, although if I hide the background image with my arms over the screen the main photo looks better balanced.

This is only intended to be helpful, and not personal in any way.

Thank you I Actually totally agree with you critique and also I am very thankful for it, just a bit of background me and some of the images, I have had a DSLR now around 2 months, before this no experience in photography or art etc, learning myself through youtube etc so if I were able to go back and shoot these I would be able to do a much better job now (I have been consuming content online everyday since the lock down pretty much all day).

I still don't know how to do cloning so that will be on the to learn list at some point soon but completely agree with your comment about image 1 now, I didnt see it before asbeing distracting but you are 100% correct.

Image tilting issues completely agree and can see now, obviously I wasn't looking so closely before posting.

Images 2,3 and 5 were all taken on a mobile phone well before the introduction of the DSLR so clearly I had a little bit of an eye for composition but hence the bad quality and other issues.

Number 4 was literally that just playing with trying to achieve bokeh in the first week of getting the camera so completely understand the critique of that now.

Image 5 was again a image captured on my mobile which has a bad light sensor, also it has been edited badly (Mainly saturation pushed up) tThis may not even be the original image as it may have been saved from my facebook so had lots of compression on it too (If I could go back now I would capture something way more spectacular.

Thank you so much for the very good critique I look forward to more from yourself when I post in the future as it was extremely helpful.

Back