Cooking Apple Tree

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I need a bit of advice please from any Gardners out there.

My apple tree, a cooking apple. Pictured.

Does it need a haircut?

Cooker
by
Jak Gunn
, on Flickr

I'm no expert, but in my opinion that is desperate for a pruning. It's a bit late in the year now though I think; February is supposed to be best.

I'll leave it to the experts to give advice as to how to go about it, but pruning keeps the tree in good shape and allows it to bear more fruit.

A/the definitive source

PS cookers...... yummy...... crumble:)

Many thanks guys, I'll take the pruners to this tree, but only to prune by a third on each branch.

And, rhubarb crumble is best ;)

Many thanks guys, I'll take the pruners to this tree, but only to prune by a third on each branch.

And, rhubarb crumble is best ;)

Only at the right time of the year ;)

PS I recommend cooking apple with a top layer of conference pears, makes a nice combo..... IMO based on eating it :D

Have a read up on as I'm pretty certain pruning it now will cause it damage and stop it from bearing as much fruit.

This article:

Appears to say that the only time you should not prune is autumn.

That's alright then. I told you I was no expert. :facepalm:

Enjoy your harvest . . .

As you can plainly tell, neither am I! I did search but there are varying opinions, so a compromise, light prune now and a proper job in the winter time (y)

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't prune now. Sap's still rising so it'll bleed. Best to do it while the tree is as dormant as possible. Not pruning now might reduce yield a bit this year but so will cutting out some fruiting branches.

Make sure your pruning tools are properly sterilised - introducing any pathogens from dirty blades is never good.

Oh ok Nod, thanks.

Thank you Heather, lesson learned!

Thank you all (y)

Tradition says to prune on Xmas Day. but december is when you would normally prune a tree or early January.
Firstly cut back anything that is dead or diseased and then anything that is crossing. ideally you want a tree to have a wine glass effect with any buds facing out of the glass so they grow outwards.
You can cut back all new growth to 3 buds from the base of the shoot. so all those long bits are last years growth and can be cut right back in the comeing winter. Always cut so that the bud is on the outside if the tree not facing the trunk. It may be 2,3 or 4 buds as a result.
Cutting now will cause bleeding and remove the fruiting buds so you would have no fruit this year. RHS is fairly good with guides on what to do although they can lack detail and assume a base knowledge.

Back