Copenhagen

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Was in Copenhagen for my birthday last week. Walked everywhere, such a nice chilled out city. Plenty to explore. No rain, but no sun/light either, just grey overcast skies, so these are as good as it gets.....bit of a colour theme going on, not purposely maybe subconsciously...

Nyhavn
Copenhagen-1-6 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Vesterbro
I was particularly pleased to see this 'graffiti' I have a picture from back home with a similar message on it so its now the start of a series!
Copenhagen-1-5 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

(the one from home is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/85749458@N07/30426800642/in/dateposted/

Christiania
Copenhagen-1-4 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Copenhagen-1 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Nice set Chris, shame the light wasn't more obliging.

Went to Copenhagen last February and loved the place and the people. So much so that we're going again in three weeks, can't wait!

Nice set Chris, shame the light wasn't more obliging.

Went to Copenhagen last February and loved the place and the people. So much so that we're going again in three weeks, can't wait!

Would like to go back for sure, summer time I bet it’s even nicer! Sat with a cold beer on the Nyhavn strip watching the world go by.....yes please! Have a good time

Nice enough series - technical thing - watch for chromatic aberation and remove it. Its quite apparant in the 4th shot in the trees

Cheers Steve - very well spotted didn’t know it was so bad! I assume that’s a lens thing rather than anything I could have done differently anywhere else settings/processing wise?

Cheers Steve - very well spotted didn’t know it was so bad! I assume that’s a lens thing rather than anything I could have done differently anywhere else settings/processing wise?

Chris, it is a lens thing generally speaking. It affects out of focus areas, usually around high contrast areas - tree branches in a bright sky is good example.

Your photo settings weren't the best for the given situation:

From your flickr feed you used:
  • ƒ/2.8 aperture
  • 1/800 shutter speed
  • 2000 ISO speed

1/800 a second shutter speed its more for something like sports photography or events. F2.8 aperture is usually good for portraits or low light situations, where shallow depth of focus is needed - hence the chromatic aberration around the trees that are not in focus. 2000 ISO speed it certainly taking a chunk out of image quality by inducing unnecessary grain. ISO speeds are usually used to compensate for shortage of light - which in your case shouldn't be any.

Generally speaking something like an overcast day street photography, F5.6- F11 apertures usually are the safe bet to get good shots with plenty of details in focus.
Also, shutter speed should only be as high as necessary, in general it is safe to shoot at the same shutter speed as the lens focal length. Everything less may induce camera shake blur. Since you used 18mm on a crop sensor that would be 18mm x 1.6 (crop factor of your camera sensor) = minimum recommended shutter speed in 60th of a second. Which is your case would be 1/30th of second.

Under such circumstances your ISO would have been 100 or a couple of stops higher, which would leave less grain in the picture.

It's a lens thing, caused by diffraction due to the dark line against a very bight light source (the sky). If you're using Lightroom then check the colour (IIRC) box in lens corrections for an automatic fix. If that doesn't work then use the eye dropper on the CA to fix it.

Great set Chris, absolutely loved Copenhagen, we went last May and the weather was beautiful, such a chilled out city like you say!

Back