Critique Copt Hill

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Unable to sleep last Thursday evening due to the heat, I took myself out good and early and had a run up to Copt Hill at Houghton le Spring. I've seen quite a few photographs from this location, but usually at sunset, so I wanted to see what could be captured at the opposite end of the day. Unfortunately, I had to wait quite sometime before the sun cleared a bank of cloud to the east before I got any decent light on to the scene, so ideally this would've been taken perhaps 30 or 40 minutes earlier. I'm still pleased with what I came away with, but as always, would appreciate some feedback on the image.

Seven Sisters by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon, this has some lovely colour and is from an interesting part of the day. To me the focal point is the two trees. Have you tried a portrait crop to give them more attention as they seem a bit lost in a landscape crop.

Nice image, slight negatives from my personal taste are that the Seven Sisters (the trees) should be the main subject, but here they are too small in the frame. Also I don't like to see the houses and factories in the background, my own favourite shot from here had mist in the background to avoid this. All this in the context that I used to live a few miles from here and therefore had more opportunities to get shots.

Hi Simon, this has some lovely colour and is from an interesting part of the day. To me the focal point is the two trees. Have you tried a portrait crop to give them more attention as they seem a bit lost in a landscape crop.

Nice image, slight negatives from my personal taste are that the Seven Sisters (the trees) should be the main subject, but here they are too small in the frame. Also I don't like to see the houses and factories in the background, my own favourite shot from here had mist in the background to avoid this. All this in the context that I used to live a few miles from here and therefore had more opportunities to get shots.

Pleasing colours :), but I'd probably just crop to something like this (this is just cropped screen shot of the image shown here).

View attachment 251290

Thanks very much for the critique guys. I do have a portrait version, but I think it was taken just a little too late with the best of the light over - I've yet to process it, but will do so. It is also slightly more zoomed in on the Seven Sisters that makes them much more prominent in the image. I also feel that there isn't a lot to tie the top and bottom of the image together, particularly as there isn't anything particularly obvious like a path to lead the eye through the image. It almost feels like two separate images (foreground flowers and then the Seven Sisters in the background).

@JackBell - I had the tripod height up and down trying to lose the background buildings, but this was as low as I thought I could go while maintaining some separation and midground to the copse of trees. Some mist in the valley would've been most welcome.

Thanks again @JackBell , @robinsslee and @Minch for your constructive feedback. It is most welcome, and very much appreciated. The location isn't too far from me, so it is definitely a place I will visit again.

Simon.

Last edited:
I very much like the image, but do agree with the comments above and also thing the crop definitely adds to the image.
I like it as is. Lovely summer landscape-other than reflections what in all honesty could be better than this
Very nice, doesn't need the crop
I also prefer this.

Thanks guys. Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.

Back