Tutorial Copyrights/Law and other info about photos

I can't see your print in his store but if you were to photograph one of his best selling prints and sell them as yours would that even up the score?

I have had my work sole on several occasions and I have no idea hat to do about it.

Hi - hoping someone can help! I do a package deal for my clients in that they get the shoot and images on disc. I have had no problems up to now, but a client has been in touch today stating that she has been asked to produce a "piece of paper" confirming she has approval from me to get the images printed. (I understand it is Asda asking!). Just wondering if there is any specific wording that I should use - and shall then include this "piece of paper!" with the disc - thanks in advance

The peice of paper is basically a licence to use

so you say essentially that your name, grants Mrs client , the non exclusive right to use the photos held on disc x for social and personal usage , including printing for personal usage use and posting the low res images provided on social media sites. (assuming that you do- if you don't you need to specifically exclude the latter)

Hello, looking for suggestions here please.

I have been asked to take some photos of a number of music artists to promote them at the club they are signed up to.

So the club are organising it and paying for it.

The shoot hasn't taken place yet but a couple of the artists have already asked if they can have copies of the photos for themselves to do as they wish with (even those the club dont use).

Is it up to me? I am thinking I should leave this decision to the club, they are paying for the photo shoot and photos after all?.

Thanks for looking, I am a little confused with this one.

Cheers

SS

Last edited:
Hi,

I have taken photographs of Eddie Stobbart trucks, if I use them on mugs etc do I get into trouble?

James

Yes. He will drive one into your house!

Technically, the logo is a trademark which you cannot use. However, if it was my company I wouldn't complain about the extra free advertising.

Steve.

Putting it on a mug is not an issue I don't think unless you are trying to sell it and make money from the use of the logo.

If shooting a logo was breaking copyright we'd not see many urban images

Hello, looking for suggestions here please.

I have been asked to take some photos of a number of music artists to promote them at the club they are signed up to.

So the club are organising it and paying for it.

The shoot hasn't taken place yet but a couple of the artists have already asked if they can have copies of the photos for themselves to do as they wish with (even those the club dont use).

Is it up to me? I am thinking I should leave this decision to the club, they are paying for the photo shoot and photos after all?.

Thanks for looking, I am a little confused with this one.

Cheers

SS

What are they wanting to do with the images? The images are yours unless you assign copyright or some form of licence to the club.

Provide the club rights to use for their promotion only and sell the images to the bands as well.

(y)

The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill received Royal Assent on 26.4.13 bringing it one step closer to introduction of regulations that will allow anyone to exploit an image without the owners permission. It's going to have massive impact on the photographic industry. You can read more here:

http://www.mattwain.com/blog/

I was just wondering, if a friend asked me to take a photo with HIS camera, but I spent time composing the shot and clicked the shutter, who would own the copyright?

My apologies if this has been answered before, I had a quick scan of the forums, but didn't spot anything with these specific parameters.

"Copyright registration

The current charges for online registration are £39.00 for 5 years or £64.00 for 10 years per work. Uploads over 10MB are also subject to a fee of 2p per additional MB, but there is no limit to the amount of data you may upload within the registration."

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/services/price_list

what does "per work" class as?

topcat07 said:
"Copyright registration

The current charges for online registration are £39.00 for 5 years or £64.00 for 10 years per work. Uploads over 10MB are also subject to a fee of 2p per additional MB, but there is no limit to the amount of data you may upload within the registration."

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/services/price_list

what does "per work" class as?

Ignore that site.

It's a rip off and it has no legal basis whatsoever.

Ignore that site.

It's a rip off and it has no legal basis whatsoever.

Agreed, it sounds official but in fact (no pun intended) it is a private agency, if you read the blurb in "about". There are easier and cheaper ways of doing the same thing. The relevant government agency is the Intellectual Property Office (IPO), http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ and has a section on copyright http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm

This may also be of interest, particularly the second last paragraph, for taking photographs 'on the street' etc. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-other/c-exception.htm

Hi. Does anyone have an example of a template for a copyright license agreement. Just basically need a simple one giving a buisness permission to use a photo of mine on their website.

Quick question - I am just designing some DVD cases and want to add a copyright statement - would it be best to name copyright as held by the Ltd company or myself as the individual who took the photograph? These will be a batch of cases so it's only going to be a general one liner

Thanks in advance

Are you a limited company?
If not did you sell the copyright to a limited company?
If not it would be © Iris Photography 2014 all rights reserved. (or something like that) (Iris being your company name)

The Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill received Royal Assent on 26.4.13 bringing it one step closer to introduction of regulations that will allow anyone to exploit an image without the owners permission. It's going to have massive impact on the photographic industry. You can read more here

I think the fact that you will need to show that you have searched for the image's owner and pay for a licence to use it is a good thing. It's not a free for all like a lot of people think.

Steve.

Back