Cordless mowers........?

Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody have/use a cordless mower?
I've been researching reviews on various sites (Amazon, Screwfix, Argus etc) and they seem 50/50 split in being "best mower I've had" and "do not bother" due to things like battery not lasting and flimsy, poorly made etc.
Anyone on here using a particular make/model which they are impressed with?
My lawn is approx 150m2 on a slight slope and I'd prefer a cut width of 38cm+.

Thanks in advance.

They're OK if you have a 'bowling green' smooth lawn the size of a postage stamp. Anything like a normal one - forget it.

If you can't get access to the mains to use an electric one, then get a petrol one.

I used to have electric mowers and but since use petrol mowers, no cables and more powerful. I did look at cordless/battery but they were more expensive than petrol decided against it. I now have a small petrol mower for the smaller parts of the garden and a larger petrol power driven mower.

The thing with Li-on battery is that they don't like left discharged or fully charged. So the "don't bother" camp probably left the battery in a bad state and come back to find it not good enough.

I'm also looking for a cordless mower to replace my corded one. My experience with cordless vacuum (5 years old now), cordless drill (6 years old now), drones (3 years old), and electric vehicle (6 years old car) tells me it's all about looking after the Li-on battery.

We as advanced species ought to be pass the stage of burning stuff. Petrol mower smells REALLY bad and I highly doubt they have emission controls.

I recently purchased one, we previously had an electric, got sick of cables and the way they wrap around our trees, we considered petrol but avoided because of noise, weight and storing fuel.

The cordless is light, uses a 20/40v 5.0ah Li ion battery (also bought a spare), charges fast and cuts very well, we have a normal lawn and its not the size of a postage stamp.

Most Li-ion batteries have a cycle of between 250 and 500x. Thats a lot of cutting when you might get 2-3 cuts out of a 5.0ah battery.

Last edited:
I reluctantly mothballed my Toro petrol mower and under pressure from the long haired General, ie my beloved, bought an EGO LM2122E cordless mower. It came with a 7.5ah battery, is self-propelled and folds away to nothing. All my misgivings regarding battery powered garden tools were blown away after using it for 10 minutes.

It is superb. Munches or collects, seperate brushless motors for cutting and drive and comes with a 5 year warranty, 3 years on the battery. It is all HD plastic compound, (no more Honda Izzy rusted to nothing mowers for me ta), charges in 30 minutes and leaves a superb finish.

Bolleaux to stale petrol, hard to start petrol engines (2 and 4 stroke) and hurrah for the Ego cordless stuff, more of which has replaced blowers, strimmers and chainsaws. ( the strimmer is particularly neat as at the touch of a button, it winds the cord into the reel itself).

Not cheap but very high quality, very high performance and no stinky fumes or vibrations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBzGmVZ-ns8

I reluctantly mothballed my Toro petrol mower and under pressure from the long haired General, ie my beloved, bought an EGO LM2122E cordless mower. It came with a 7.5ah battery, is self-propelled and folds away to nothing. All my misgivings regarding battery powered garden tools were blown away after using it for 10 minutes.

It is superb. Munches or collects, seperate brushless motors for cutting and drive and comes with a 5 year warranty, 3 years on the battery. It is all HD plastic compound, (no more Honda Izzy rusted to nothing mowers for me ta), charges in 30 minutes and leaves a superb finish.

Bolleaux to stale petrol, hard to start petrol engines (2 and 4 stroke) and hurrah for the Ego cordless stuff, more of which has replaced blowers, strimmers and chainsaws. ( the strimmer is particularly neat as at the touch of a button, it winds the cord into the reel itself).

Not cheap but very high quality, very high performance and no stinky fumes or vibrations.

Wow around £700. That's a lot of money for a mower.

It looks a very nice machine, but yes a bit tooo expensive for me.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I use to have a petrol flymo (lawn has a small slope) then went cable, which now drives me mad moving the cable constantly due to the shape of the lawn. A little more research I think before diving in.

I recently purchased one, we previously had an electric, got sick of cables and the way they wrap around our trees, we considered petrol but avoided because of noise, weight and storing fuel.

The cordless is light, uses a 20/40v 5.0ah Li ion battery (also bought a spare), charges fast and cuts very well, we have a normal lawn and its not the size of a postage stamp.

Most Li-ion batteries have a cycle of between 250 and 500x. Thats a lot of cutting when you might get 2-3 cuts out of a 5.0ah battery.
What mower did you get?

What mower did you get?

Ferrex from Aldi, cant really complain, £160 for mower, 2x 5.0ah and a charger. 3 yr warranty on all of it. I was looking at much more expensive mowers but ordered this and am really pleased with it, no need to spend hundreds and the attractive bit is really the price of the batteries.

and

Last edited:
I've a Bosch Rotak 36-37 Li Ergo. Had it about 5 years now and it does a great job. It has a 36V Li-ion battery which charges fine. I use it to cut a lawn approx 25 x 20 metres and there's plenty of battery life left after I've finished the cut. I think they are about £400 now.

Well, it seems I'm well out of touch doesn't it? It looks like things have improved a lot - for a price. :facepalm:

I tried about three or four a little over ten years ago, gave up as they were all crap and bought a petrol one.

Thankfully, my days of mowing the lawn are over - I never did like doing it anyway. :whistle:

I might consider electric next time round, but for the moment my 48cm Stihl Viking petrol powered mower is still in it's prime. Also, with >1000 sq. metres of grass to cut 'range anxiety' would be an issue for me with many of the more reasonably priced rechargeable mowers. When we first moved into our house I tried an electric hover mower but the voltage drop on the cable length meant I had a lot less hover.....

I had a Worx mower at my last house and it was really excellent. It had a 24V lead acid battery (like a car battery) and this lasted really well and had plenty of power. I am not sure how newer, Lithium batteries would compare.

I have this mower, my garden is around 120ft long and 35ft wide and it muches the entire thing in 1 charge,, I have the hedge trimmer, strimmer and blower as well and all use the same batteries and no way am I going back to petrol they all out purform all the petrol tools I had previous.

Back