Corguette flower

Maybe introduce some more blues in post tone that yellow down a little bit... was this a natural light shot? If so it was clearly a grey day which is meaning a flat lighted shot and lacking contrast.

Keep them coming :D

Thanks Bryn,

I used two camera modes, P which chose exposure and F and Aperture, with an ISO of 200.. These settings produced quite an Orange colour.

I also use the Auto setting, which produced a yellow, which I think was nearer the real colouring.

I did use CS2 to enhance, bit still not sure why the photo does not leap out and grab me by the throat.

Hand held of course, in a greenhouse, and the sky was definetly grey.

I thought the criticism would be about the grey leaves below the flower....

I find photos are quite difficult to get the right colour balance. Always looks good on the camera screen (Olympus EPL 5) and colours do not come up to scratch on the computer screen!

I'm astonished at the colour difference going from orange to yellow. The original orangey version is underexposed, as can be seen from the big gap at the top of the histogram.

NOT MY IMAGE - Mark Johnson Orange flower original with histogram
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

But just turning up the exposure doesn't turn it yellow (as I thought it might).

NOT MY IMAGE - Mark Johnson Orange flower original with exposure increase

Altering the white balance produced horrible results. To get it to turn yellow I had to shift the hues of the Orange hue a huge amount toward yellow. (And as you can see I did some other things too.)

NOT MY IMAGE - Mark Johnson Orange flower turned yellow

I have no idea what the flower actually looked like, but I'm fascinated to see the effect of such a large change of hue. Presumably you must have done something similar in CS2.

I'm baffled as to why Auto mode and P mode would produce very different colours unless the Auto mode version was overexposed (I've seen red turn yellow because of overexposure, but this seems a bit of a long shot).

Nick,

many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

I am now a little confused as which photo was taken in P mode and which was in Auto mode.

I thought the camera might tell me, but appears not too. So my memory is the only guide.

Yes, you are most likely correct about the exposure, tho' it was grey outside. I assumed the camera in programme mode would work it out for me, as well as in Auto mode.

As said I did tamper with one of the photos with CS2......

I must learn to read the histograms as I have never worked what they represent, and use them to produce better photos.

Anyway thanks for your time and thoughts, the flowers now have gone, but if summer perks up, I might a couple more....

Mj

Back