Corizus hyoscyami

Never seen one of those before what great colours.

#3 is my personal fav though background needs to be blurred more as rather cluttered. Maybe a situation a mounted background would work.

Focus and detail is nailed as expected a few composition issues but the majority fine as is.

Namely

#1 crop off flower head bottom left by cropping from lhs

#2 crop a little off lhs maybe clone out leaf on that side

#3 crop tad off top but only to put bug on 3rd line

#4 portrait crop imho would improve it.

#7 crop a little off top again to put subject on top 3rd Line.

But brilliant work.

Never seen one of those before what great colours.

Thanks Bryn, and thanks for taking the time to consider all the images and make specific suggestions about them.

For the most part I think we're seeing things rather differently, but that's fine of course, and please don't let my responses below put you off. They may come across as overly defensive, but they are certainly not intended as a brush off. It's just that in this case I really think I'm seeing things differently, perhaps in a rather fundamental way, and it wouldn't be helpful say nothing and/or seem to go along with your suggestions out of politeness. Whether we (not just you and I, but us generally here) agree or not on such things, it's good to be discussing them, having things pointed out to us that we may not have noticed, trying alternatives, explaining our different perspectives, incorporating what we have learnt into our routine capturing and processing techniques and our experiments. That way lies progress and improvement.

Incidentally, on the subject of seeing things differently, my experience with one of the little groups I run is reinforcing just how differently different people can see things. One of the ladies in one of the groups has very discerning eyes and we have discussed a number of images in minute detail. It turns out that her visual system and interpretations place more of an emphasis on colour than line compared to how I see things. For example, I was convinced in one pair of images we were scrutinising that image A, was sharper than image B. The other member of the group present thought the same as me. She insisted though that image B looked sharper. It turned out that I was concentrating on edges but she was seeing very subtle nuances in colour in the plainer areas and was interpreting that as greater texture and therefore more detail. It's a subtle business, and no right and wrong I think. I suspect that some sort of visual system difference(s) may be playing into our impressions here.

Actually, thinking through your comments in detail brings another thought to my mind. You are very much into getting in close, whole subject or part of subject, I am very much into working further out, subject in context or at most whole subject. On reflection I think that may be a significant element in our different feelings about the compositions.

#3 is my personal fav though background needs to be blurred more as rather cluttered. Maybe a situation a mounted background would work.

The clutter, soft of line and colour, looks fine to my eye; in fact it is one one of the main attractions of that shot for me. I certainly wouldn't want to use a mounted background. I'm photographing animals in their natural context, and in any case I prefer more going on in backgrounds, and more randomness in what is going on in backgrounds, than can be provided by a mounted background.

#1 crop off flower head bottom left by cropping from lhs

For me that would unbalance the image, moving the subject too close to the lhs for comfort unless there were a corresponding (lesser) cut of the right edge and top, but this would move the image more towards a subject shot and away from a subject and context shot, which is what this was about for me. In that light, irrespective of any top and rhs cuts, cutting off the lhs would remove a nice (for me) piece of context.

#2 crop a little off lhs

The square crop with central subject is deliberate, with the two cut off leaves on left and right at the bottom acting symmetrically as "stabilisers"/"anchors". A cut on the left would destroy that effect.

maybe clone out leaf on that side

This too would unbalance the twin stabilisers effect, and remove some context that to my eye adds to the image.

#3 crop tad off top but only to put bug on 3rd line

No! The whole point is that it is looking straight at us, and centralised. Let's not get fixated by 3rd lines, it can stifle creativity.

#4 portrait crop imho would improve it.

That's one I thought about too, but decided to leave it like it was. I decided that the greater "mass" at the sides reinforced the impression of it being "down in amongst the foliage, peering out", especially as its right antenna and front right "foot" are obscured by the leaf. A portrait crop would lose that effect I think.

#7 crop a little off top again to put subject on top 3rd Line.

Possibly a slice off the top, but not that much. Putting the subject on the 3rd line would I think move the line with all the refracted colours too close to the top for my taste, and that line is an integral part of the image for me. Besides which, I'm happy with the centrality of the subject with this one.

A really nice and detailed set of images Nick, with some very nice colours and in most shots compositions that I find well balanced and pleasing to my eye.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Very nice Nick. I do like where your are being stared down in No 3.

Thanks. Here is another one of that view, from further out, showing a bit more of the context. I like this sort of shot with the subject smaller in the frame but I think most people here prefer to get closer in and have a good look at the fine details of the subject.

0729 066 2015_05_26 P1790047 LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I like to do pairs or series of three of four, zooming in, so one like that might perhaps be the first or second in a series. Here is an example of a series and an example of a pair. I do lots of these.

0727 09 2015_05_22 P1750363 LR 1300h

0727 10 2015_05_22 P1750361 LR 1300h

0727 11 2015_05_22 P1750359 LR 1300h

0727 12 2015_05_22 P1750360 LR 1300h

0727 30 2015_05_22 P1750519 LR 1300h

0727 32 2015_05_22 P1750515 LR 1300h

No.3 & 4 are my fav:) but overall is great Nick(y)

This is a Rhopalidae - Corizus Hyoscyami

http://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Rhopalidae/corizus_hyoscyami.html

Thanks Icy, and thanks for the link. I've started making the effort to try to identify at least some of my subjects, and this is the first one I was certain enough about to put the name in the thread title - the pattern on its wings is very distinctive and exactly matches what I found in one of my books.

Amazing little bug Nick I've not seen one of those before
Excellent set as always
I do agree with Bryn about the background on no 3 it would have more impact closer in with a less cluttered background but that's just my opinion
No 5 is my favourite excellent side on shot

Amazing little bug Nick I've not seen one of those before
Excellent set as always
I do agree with Bryn about the background on no 3 it would have more impact closer in with a less cluttered background but that's just my opinion
No 5 is my favourite excellent side on shot

Thanks Pete. Looks like I'm in the minority on the background of #3. Like I think I am more generally on the "closer in"/"further out" front. :)

Edit: I was originally going to include the one from further out in the OP (the one shown in my response above to Jimi), which is the one I prefer, but I thought "no, they won't like that, I'll use the closer in one.

I did in fact have a closer in one than in the OP, but I didn't process it. It didn't even make it past the first cut, where I throw out all the OOF's/wrong DOF placement and otherwise not worth bothering with stuff. It had much too little DOF for me to be interested in it. Out of curiosity I just went back and dug it out. Here it is, cropped a bit to try and simplify the background.

0729 066a 2015_05_26 P1790047 LR 1300h

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. Looks like I'm in the minority on the background of #3. Like I think I am more generally on the "closer in"/"further out" front. :)

Edit: I was originally going to include the one from further out in the OP (the one shown in my response above to Jimi), which is the one I prefer, but I thought "no, they won't like that, I'll use the closer in one.

I did in fact have a closer in one than in the OP, but I didn't process it. It didn't even make it past the first cut, where I throw out all the OOF's/wrong DOF placement and otherwise not worth bothering with stuff. It had much too little DOF for me to be interested in it. Out of curiosity I just went back and dug it out. Here it is, cropped a bit to try and simplify the background.

0729 066a 2015_05_26 P1790047 LR 1300h

I really like this one Nick
I do see why you like showing background details as it shows context but having an out of focus background really makes the subject stand out
this shot is superb the face on view really has impact and the background aa I said makes it stand out

I do see why you like showing background details as it shows context but having an out of focus background really makes the subject stand out
this shot is superb the face on view really has impact and the background aa I said makes it stand out

:agree:

With the clutter (natural background) is there with some matching tones of the bug it stands to distract rather than highlight the beauty of what your subject is. Now I'm pretty sure I'm on the closer in camp but I do really love atmospheric shots too but these for me are normally contained within the flower arena but no reason bugs can't be the same.

:agree:

With the clutter (natural background) is there with some matching tones of the bug it stands to distract rather than highlight the beauty of what your subject is. Now I'm pretty sure I'm on the closer in camp but I do really love atmospheric shots too but these for me are normally contained within the flower arena but no reason bugs can't be the same.

Thanks both.

He he. Different strokes. I'm not surprised by your reactions. Like I said, it was a reject for me. :D

It does seem that we're seeing (or looking for) things differently. It's obviously not this simple, but put crudely it looks like for you both it's the subject that really matters while for me it's the scene (sort of). And also of course you're both comfortable with narrower DOF than I am. On the other hand you are less comfortable with clutter than I am. It's also possible that detail in the subject is at the forefront of your seeing while colour, line and texture across the whole scene figures larger in my seeing.

Back