Review Cosina 100mm f3.5 Macro Review (Canon Fit)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
This is an unsual lens, as it's price point is quite low and can be picked up for around £170 new in some shops as new old stock, but sources are drying up so second hand is the only way to go.

The lens is a prime, so no zoom here. It's digital compatible and comes with a 1:1 macro adaptor.

The construction is plastic, but it generally feels well enough built, on a par with the Canon 'kit' lenses. You certainly won't mistake it for L glass when you hold it in your hands, but mindful of the price all is well. The optics are all glass with no plastic lenses to be seen.

One area that could be better is the AF speed which is woeful slow and not very accurate. To be honest, I'm unsure as to why you would want AF on a Macro lens anyway, but this in particular has you reaching for the Manual button.

Once mounted on the camera, the weight distribution is good, and the lens does not overextend, affecting balance.

Image quality? Well, at f3.5 the DOF is minimal, as you would expect, but the Bokeh is just wonderful. At f6-8 things get a bit more useable, but you'll have to consider ramping up the ISO unless in very bright light as otherwise shutter speeds will be getting low and could lead to camera shake ruining your shots.

Sharpness? Excellent, great sharpness where it matters and beautiful bokeh where it doesn't.

Overall this is a great lens and the right compromises have been made to keep the price down. Image quality is superb but handling is an acquired taste, and those reliant on AF should look elsewhere. It's main competitor is probably the Sigma 105 EX f2.8 which is doubtless a better built lens, but if image quality is your only concern, there really is little to choose between them. Savvy shoppers, this is a bargain!

Last edited:
Pics?

Sounds good but i would also like some pics

Pete

Last edited:
I have this lens in MF for Pentax, its very sharp, especially for the price.
It feels cheap and plasticky... But focus although not smooth like old metal MF lenses, has a long through, so its good to focus with small DOF.

Back