Cosina Lenses

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone heard of Cosina lenses, are they any good.

Looking at one on ebay 100-400 f4.5 - 6.7 wondered if it was any good or not.

i had a 19-35 until a year ago which i only used on film. it was ok, pretty poor build quality. the results were fine but i didnt have anything blown up bigger than 10x8. no experience of the 100-400 in particular tho.

They've been around for a long time, not the best quality lenses though.

Cosina lenses have been around for a long time at the budget end of the market.

I couldn't find an in depth review but I did find this opinion, which isn't very complimentary...

http://photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=1418

The same lenses are often branded under Phoenix and Vivitar labels. Build quality is going to be very poor, but it's the image quality which really matters, and I suspect you'd be bitterly disappointed.

I think I'd give it a wide berth. ;)

Thanks for that CT, had heard some bad things about them, it was the price that attracted me to it, but not worth it if the image quality is poor.

Thanks for the comments everyone

I've just read that Vivitar, Cosina, opteka and Phoenix 100-400mm lenses are all the same and made by Cosina, poor quality but cheap.

Personally I would spend the money on a Canon 70-300 or a Sigma 70-300apo. Don't get sucked into bidding on that lens, I think the price is already a bit high (again personal opinion)

Cheers Steep, i have some canon, tokina and sigma in my watch list aswell. Really fancied the canon 100-400L, but the price is a bit much at the moment.

Back