Non UK Costa Rica next week

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going on an organised group trip to Costa Rica next weekend for 10 days. It is not a specific photographic trip but there are a few days clear of activities which I would like to dedicate to wildlife and landscape photography. We will be located in the Arenal area and the Tamarindo Diria beach resort. I have never been to CR before so know nothing about the area.
Any suggestions of "must do" locations or trips would be welcome.

Also a suggested kit list would be appreciated. I am flying from the UK so weight will need to be considered. I have a 1DX11 but will probably take the canon EOS R instead as it is lighter and should be fine ( happy to be corrected if you think otherwise). I have access to most focal lengths so am open and keen to get recommendations on what to take.
Currently my thoughts are:
tripod
Eos R + small waterproof camera
100 - 400mm f4.5 - F5.6 + 1.4 converter ( I have the 70 -200 but don't really want to take both).
17- 40mm f4 OR 24 - 105mm
I am toying with getting the ef 40mm pancake lens purely because of it's size, Thoughts??
We will be doing zip line/canopy walks so I plan to put an EOS M50 with a kit lens (15-45) in a bum bag (fanny pack) to take any pictures from these vantage points.
Any suggestions, additions or amendments to the above would be most welcome

I'll be interested to see the results from this trip, I am getting married there in April, though I think I would be murdered if I took my gear!

I'm going in just over 7 weeks.... Arenal is one place we are staying... just hope the clouds clear you can see the volcano...

Take the 24-105 rather than the 17-40. Take the 100-400, leave the 70-200 behind. If you have a macro lens, take that. Flashgun is a must. LOTS OF MEMORY.

It is a civilised country - if you can get the american power leads for your chargers, cheap as chips off Amazon - saves weight by not having to carry adaptors. Food is good.

Sarapiqui is nature rich, The Los Quetzals is good (especially for the Resplendent Quetzal)...

Enjoy!

Thank you for your reply - just in time as I have packed my kit ready to go in the morning. I will now change the 17-40 for the 24-105 and add a flashgun. The 100 - 400 is packed and the 70 - 200 is still in the cupboard so I almost got it right!

Well I have now returned from CR having had a good trip but kicking myself for not taking my Canon 1dx Mk ii. I have the EOS R and I thought I would force myself to get used to it on this trip. Right from the start I regretted it. It is not a patch on the 1DX at tracking and really struggled at locking on to anything in a tree. Plenty of opportunities for pictures but the rain forest was a little disappointing. Naively I thought the wildlife would be right in your face but whilst it was there it was well hidden and the EOS R struggled to pick anything out and focus quickly. Don't get me wrong for general pictures and landscapes it is a great camera. As for seeing the Volcano, yes on some days it was clear but I think the best picture I got was with the top in clouds. Rick448, I think it will be a fabulous venue for your wedding and I am sure you will have a great stay in the country. Here are a few pictures from the visit.
Humming bird in flight by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Sand piper by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Arenal volcano, Costa Rica by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Starlit Costa Rica beach by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
horses on the beech by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Howler Monkey by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Well I have now returned from CR having had a good trip but kicking myself for not taking my Canon 1dx Mk ii. I have the EOS R and I thought I would force myself to get used to it on this trip. Right from the start I regretted it. It is not a patch on the 1DX at tracking and really struggled at locking on to anything in a tree. Plenty of opportunities for pictures but the rain forest was a little disappointing. Naively I thought the wildlife would be right in your face but whilst it was there it was well hidden and the EOS R struggled to pick anything out and focus quickly. Don't get me wrong for general pictures and landscapes it is a great camera. As for seeing the Volcano, yes on some days it was clear but I think the best picture I got was with the top in clouds. Rick448, I think it will be a fabulous venue for your wedding and I am sure you will have a great stay in the country. Here are a few pictures from the visit.
Humming bird in flight by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Sand piper by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Arenal volcano, Costa Rica by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Starlit Costa Rica beach by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
horses on the beech by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Howler Monkey by Gordon Ford, on Flickr
Lovely pictures there, we fly out on the 22nd April, I'm looking forward to it, looks beautiful.

Back