Couple from Sunday

Nice start John shot in natural light I presume.
pity about the cropped antenae on the scorpion fly

Well done with those John. Interesting angles with both of them. I've found I need to be quick with Scorpion flies as they tend to wander off quite quickly (not that I see them very often, more's the pity).

GIMP is a bit of a beast. Do you have experience of other editing applications? If not, you may find GIMP quite a difficult place to start.

Gimp is awesome and free (always the best I think) (use youtube to learn GIMP)
Lovely shot of the Scorpion fly.

Well done with those John. Interesting angles with both of them. I've found I need to be quick with Scorpion flies as they tend to wander off quite quickly (not that I see them very often, more's the pity).

GIMP is a bit of a beast. Do you have experience of other editing applications? If not, you may find GIMP quite a difficult place to start.
Thanks, I am struggling with Gimp having only used relatively simple editing software (like Picasa) up till now. It was free so I thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks, I am struggling with Gimp having only used relatively simple editing software (like Picasa) up till now. It was free so I thought I'd give it a go.
I started with GIMP, apart from the cropping I'd also use the slider tool box (maybe I got the name wrong) it got me the results I wanted.

In terms of free software that might be easier to use you might want to have a look at Faststone Image Viewer or possibly paint.net (although I'm not sure how much easier paint.net would be to use than GIMP). You might want to try a free trial of paid for software at the less expensive end of the spectrum - Helicon filter ($30) , Affinity Photo (£39) and Adobe Elements (£60) come to mind.

Back