couple from today

I like the first one.

I see from Flickr that you had trouble getting a sharp image with #3 because it was breezy. With natural light at 1/160 sec I'm not surprised. (I think you probably picked up limb and antenna movement as well as wind-induced movement.) I think you could afford to raise the ISO from 200 and get a faster shutter speed. I often use ISO 800 with both APS-C and micro four thirds. Here that would have given you 1/640 sec.

Even if you eliminate subject movement with a faster shutter speed you still have the problem in a breeze of getting the focus in the right place (in this case I think the head is just outside the DoF). In a breeze I take plenty of shots to try to get one that works out well. (In fact, even in still conditions I take multiple shots. I find that they can be rather varied - I work hand-held, I don't know if you were for this shot.)

I like the first one.

I see from Flickr that you had trouble getting a sharp image with #3 because it was breezy. With natural light at 1/160 sec I'm not surprised. (I think you probably picked up limb and antenna movement as well as wind-induced movement.) I think you could afford to raise the ISO from 200 and get a faster shutter speed. I often use ISO 800 with both APS-C and micro four thirds. Here that would have given you 1/640 sec.

Even if you eliminate subject movement with a faster shutter speed you still have the problem in a breeze of getting the focus in the right place (in this case I think the head is just outside the DoF). In a breeze I take plenty of shots to try to get one that works out well. (In fact, even in still conditions I take multiple shots. I find that they can be rather varied - I work hand-held, I don't know if you were for this shot.)

all hand held , I will take in what you said about the ISO etc. though I must admit i.m not a fan of upping the ISO though at 800 I wouldn't of thought there be a noise issue thanks for the comments
andy

Hi Andy,

Noticed from Flickr you asked for an ID for #3. It's a species of Soldier Beetle I think. Probably Rhagonycha fulva.

Nice work Andy
Working handheld at shutters speeds like that you are pushing the chances of sharp images either from camera shake or subject movement or both. Thats why I use flash.

Agree with Nick the first one is my favourite too
I like natural light shots too and often go to ISO 800 if you get the exposure right you won't see noise, can definitely use ISO 400 that's my default setting for natural light macro

Back