couple more barn owl shots

You got it at very good moments! … but your AF did not support your effort!

I suspect…

I'm going to speak Nikon since I got no idea of other's terminology!
…given settings are disappointing your efforts here and I believe that it
might just be your your AF settings. I think your actual setting is on single
and on shutter release.

I would recommend that you create, in your menu bank, a "sport menu bank"
where continuous AF will be selected and the back button AF activation will
be configured. These moves should improve greatly your next shoot!

Single point focus +
Continuous focussing +
Back button activation +
Make sure your AF point is on target (with focus confirmation) +
ISO high enough to permit decent shutter speeds =
better chances of
success!

Focus acquisition AND confirmation are critical for sure!

no they use quite a big stretch of land, it has 3 places i no it to possibly will be but your not allowed in the field to get to the opposite side where it tends to stick to. The problem is i only get random days when i can get down there so i can't even spend regular time watching its movement. just been looking at some iso comparisons an jpeg looks better when up high would I be better off shooting in jpeg rather than raw?

Me personally I always shoot in RAW, personal choice that's all,as for getting close I have no choice as I have to I look at all my options, and even though I only get limited time I stick with one subject for a while until I get something I am pretty happy with ,that way you get to know more about you're subject and its habits ,as said just keep at it you never know one day it may just come a bit closer for you

ye i will keep at it, i may have to camp out an wait for it. I normally only shoot in raw but when i looked at the jpeg/raw comparison it looks better in jpeg i may try shooting in both an see what i like best.
thanks for the advice.

Back