Critique Couple of Dogs

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I have taken some dog photos before and enjoy doing them, all taken at home using a softbox plus reflector for lighting. I have been wanting to try some outdoor photos using flash.

Bit of a problem. I don't have a dog of my own.

Anyways on Sunday I decided to stop thinking about it and doing nothing about it, which I do on a regular basis.

That said in the end it was all spur of the moment and late in the day "fading light"

So I headed out into some park area nearby. I took my ad200 with speedlight head attached plus a light stand.

I found this stump and set the flash up took some photos to see if it was a half descent frame.

After a few minutes the Staffie and owner passed by.

Soon after the Pug.

Both owners were happy for me to try and take there dogs photo.

The images and light are nothing like what I would take at home therefore I have no idea how they would be perceived or whether they are terrible.

I know the light needs improvement. I'm not sure if the speedlight is the way to go or maybe a different modifier would be better.

I went with this light as it's easier to carry plus it looks less like a professional of which I am not.

Would be good to get feedback and advice on how to move forwards with the approach.

Thanks

Gaz

Reggie
wv9H5HR.jpg

Elvis
t7mJ8rc.jpg

1st one looks a bit lost in the background and would suit a lighter background to pop - looks a bit camouflaged. 2nd suits background better and stands out much more as the subject although think focus has hit the chest rather than the eyes. I also like the bokeh in the 2nd which seems to be missing in the 1st. The leaning tree trunk distracts in both for me as well. Perhaps remove collars and harnesses if possible unless they are meaningful to the owners. Well done for getting them to look down the lens, never easy be it animals or people!

@Ady N

Hi Adrian.

Great critique just what I needed.

I agree with all your observations.

Learning to see a better background would be a good start.

Thanks

Gaz

Good effort.
If play around with the power of the flash and go for a higher fstop you can really darken the background so it almost looks black.
Would work good with the pug.

Reggie works well for me - looks like he belongs in the frame. Elvis is a blond blob on a dark background, and might as have been shot in a studio with props.

We're all different.

@Bobsyeruncle

Hi Bob

Thanks for tthe feedback it's much appreciated. I think I did need a higher fstop for a bit more dof.
I was trying to include some of the ambiant light to avoid the studio look but I thnik it is going to take some practice.

@ancient_mariner

Hi Toni

Thanks for the feedback. I see what your saying regarding Elvis.
It is much easier doing the studio type photos for sure.

More pratice is needed !

Gaz

Very nice Gaz - quick edit for you :)

OikyWSq.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your original of Reggie, it’s very ‘Staffie’, teeth, ragged stick & stance. I feel just cropping to exclude most of the confusing foliage works. I don’t mind the collar, under the circumstances :). The light area (inside right thigh?) is a bit distracting.

@sphexx

Hi Richard.

Yes Staffs do seem to like dragging huge branches around with them don't they.

Good advice given especially regarding the bright area.

Thanks
Gaz

@sphexx

Hi Richard.

Yes Staffs do seem to like dragging huge branches around with them don't they.

Good advice given especially regarding the bright area.

Thanks
Gaz
I used to meet quite a small staffie who carried a car tyre (probably only an original Mini) gripped and carried vertically, impressive neck strength, and jaws obviously, which is why I think it’s a good idea to keep a collar on ;) .

impressive neck strength, and jaws obviously, which is why I think it’s a good idea to keep a collar on ;) .

Manchester here ! They carry tractor tyres !

Joking aside they are indeed very strong

Gaz

Back