Couple of quick ones.

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are my first attempts at some portraits of my friend, they are fine with helping as love having their photo taken. They are only some relaxed attempts from a beginner, but thought I would share them as I want to show my progress on here and be able to look back.

I wish I had thought and asked her to move to the right in the first one so the background would have been purple, without the light and white part of the wall. The second I liked myself as I found it tricky to get their face exposed correctly with the light coming from behind with the doors.

Wxy2cFb.jpg

cjoOs40.jpg

They're a good start!
  • Two things to think about for next time.. they look a little bit soft. Is that focusing or camera shake?
  • Watch for clutter which doesn't add anything.
Thank you for your helpful feedback :).

I am unsure, I am using the VR lens but am a bit shaky with my health conditions sometimes. It could be focusing though, I am unsure?

With the clutter, do you mean such as in the first image the white section to the left? If so I do wish I asked her to move to the right slightly, but this is all new to me and it was more a spur of the moment thing while I was at my friends.
If you mean the second image, I understand, I was just happy to of got their face exposed OK (at least to me- it is probably terrible to more advanced photographers).

Thank you for your helpful feedback :).

I am unsure, I am using the VR lens but am a bit shaky with my health conditions sometimes. It could be focusing though, I am unsure?

With the clutter, do you mean such as in the first image the white section to the left? If so I do wish I asked her to move to the right slightly, but this is all new to me and it was more a spur of the moment thing while I was at my friends.
If you mean the second image, I understand, I was just happy to of got their face exposed OK (at least to me- it is probably terrible to more advanced photographers).

By clutter I mean the lamp, the cable and so on. The white section would be fine on its own.

In the second one the half-visible thing she’s leaning on, the skirting boards & the top of the blinds don’t help.

Focusing and exposing when backlit can be tricky, you’ve done well :)

One last thing.. if you’d closed the blinds you would have had a more flattering light. Obviously you’d need to increase the ISO to compensate.

Thanks for sharing & well done. I can't add anything to Simon's comments but it would be great if the forum had more posts like this.

Gaz

Back