Courgettes

Almost big enough for stuffing!

If you're after ideas, grate them, salt the gratings well and leave to drain over a sink/colander for a couple of hours, wrapped in a fairly coarse cloth. Rinse well and squeeze out as much water as possible. Beat an egg and stir it into the courgettes - if you need more egg, add another! Stir in enough seasoned flour to make a fairly stiff mixture - but don't overmix. During the above steps, chuck in any spices/herbs you think will add to the flavour (mint and oregano go well, as does some garlic and a bit more garlic!) Fry teaspoonfuls of the mix over a medium heat and turn when golden brown. Drain on kitchen towel and dip in tzatziki or similar.

Garlic is the work of the devil and should be eradicated from the face of the planet.
Its in everything these days, no fun if like me you are allergic to the evil bulb

Melt chocolate over warm water.
Dip garlic cloves into melted chocolate.
Allow to set.
Hand to trick or treaters, telling them they're chocolate covered roasted chestnuts.
Hose egg off front of house, car etc..

Melt chocolate over warm water.
Dip garlic cloves into melted chocolate.
Allow to set.
Hand to trick or treaters, telling them they're chocolate covered roasted chestnuts.
Hose egg off front of house, car etc..

I'd probably eat it and go back for more! :LOL:

I take it you're a regular visitor to The Garlic Farm?

I've never been Marc - usual access problems. I used to go to the Garlic Festival years ago, but that wouldn't be so easy for me now. The island is decades behind the rest of the country when it comes to accessibility - even most pavements are unusable in a wheelchair. :banghead:

I've never been Marc - usual access problems. I used to go to the Garlic Festival years ago, but that wouldn't be so easy for me now. The island is decades behind the rest of the country when it comes to accessibility - even most pavements are unusable in a wheelchair. :banghead:

I was there 4 years ago but was using a mobility scooter and didn't find things too bad but I use a wheelchair now so not so great. Shame though as it was always on our list of places to visit when we were there. Only consolation is that we can buy their products from Ocado.

I still have a mobility scooter (TGA Breeze) that I can use for the rough terrain around where I live and it's good for that. I have a minibus with a tail-lift so I can use to transport it if I need to, but I still need to take a powerchair with me as I can't walk more than about ten paces on my sticks without risk of collapsing in a heap. The trouble is, I can't load and unload the things without having someone with me and I can't afford carers in addition to expensive wheelchairs.

Almost big enough for stuffing!

If you're after ideas, grate them, salt the gratings well and leave to drain over a sink/colander for a couple of hours, wrapped in a fairly coarse cloth. Rinse well and squeeze out as much water as possible. Beat an egg and stir it into the courgettes - if you need more egg, add another! Stir in enough seasoned flour to make a fairly stiff mixture - but don't overmix. During the above steps, chuck in any spices/herbs you think will add to the flavour (mint and oregano go well, as does some garlic and a bit more garlic!) Fry teaspoonfuls of the mix over a medium heat and turn when golden brown. Drain on kitchen towel and dip in tzatziki or similar.
That sounds utterly delicious - I'll be doing that tomorrow !

Squeeze them out as much as you possibly can - twist them in the cloth. If you feel like it, add some grated carrot to the squeezed out mix. In Greece they're called Kolokithokefthedes and small ones are Kolokithokefthedakia - a real mouthful!!!

I predict about 3 weeks until you are sick of courgettes :D

Ours will be a week or two before the glut hits and then, well, I've eaten them for 3 meals a day before now..............

I keep it simple: sliced, sprinkled with ground Cumin and baked for circa 20 mins. Nice.

Ours will be a week or two before the glut hits and then, well, I've eaten them for 3 meals a day before now..............
I said exactly that to a friend yesterday. He’s new to gardening, and proudly brought us a few of his first crop. I love them when they are small, but hate them once they turn into Marrows.

I still have a mobility scooter (TGA Breeze) that I can use for the rough terrain around where I live and it's good for that. I have a minibus with a tail-lift so I can use to transport it if I need to, but I still need to take a powerchair with me as I can't walk more than about ten paces on my sticks without risk of collapsing in a heap. The trouble is, I can't load and unload the things without having someone with me and I can't afford carers in addition to expensive wheelchairs.
I know how you feel. I’m a Paraplegic and my Breeze is my lifeline. When it comes to Wheelchairs they really take advantage with pricing. I’m Currently sat on a £4.500 lightweight chair,

I know how you feel. I’m a Paraplegic and my Breeze is my lifeline. When it comes to Wheelchairs they really take advantage with pricing. I’m Currently sat on a £4.500 lightweight chair,

Yep. Mine was £3k but I was very fortunate in that my employer paid for it.

When it comes to Wheelchairs they really take advantage with pricing. I’m Currently sat on a £4.500 lightweight chair,

Don't they just? The new price on mine was £11,200.00, but I got it from a dealer on the Bay of Evil for £3,500.00. I've had to liquidise all my assets to buy adapted vehicles, wheelchairs and scooters over the last five years and in every case the prices were artificially high because of profiteering. :mad:

Mrs Nod is veggie so excess veg is a slightly alien concept! We've got 4 plants, 2 of which seem to be healthy and are producing a few per week. At the moment! Once the tomatoes start to ripen as well, I'll start doing courgetti in a tomato sauce and freeze portions. (Courgetti = spiralized courgettes) I also like them simply tossed in seasoned flour and fried in EVOO then dipped in tzatziki. Pretty sure there'll be a few trays of briam (Greek style ratatouille) too! Mrs Nod also likes them "peeled" on top of salads.

Just been out to pick a few for tea/supper/dinner and discovered a lurker. Only 10" so still a large courgette rather than a marrow!

Mrs Nod is veggie so excess veg is a slightly alien concept! We've got 4 plants, 2 of which seem to be healthy and are producing a few per week. At the moment! Once the tomatoes start to ripen as well, I'll start doing courgetti in a tomato sauce and freeze portions. (Courgetti = spiralized courgettes) I also like them simply tossed in seasoned flour and fried in EVOO then dipped in tzatziki. Pretty sure there'll be a few trays of briam (Greek style ratatouille) too! Mrs Nod also likes them "peeled" on top of salads.
Courgetti & halloumi kebabs with a tomato & olive salsa are worth a try. We don't have a spiraliser so we just slice them....

Reactions: Nod
Courgette, potatoes, onion, chopped cabbage, garlic :giggle:

Makes a super soup, yum yum...

Some great ideas here. I just picked my first home-grown one ever this morning (about 9in long, didn't want to push my luck. Three others on the way that I can see)My First Courgette.jpg:

We don't have a spiraliser so we just slice them....

We've got a pencil sharpener type spiraliser but after sharpening my thumb a couple of years ago, I won't use it! I use a gadget like a spud basher with added perpendicular blades to get long, thin strips of courgette etc..

Check these out...

Same story that Marc posted.

And our effort:
Courgette.jpg

Same story that Marc posted.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry Mark :(

Back