Covid Masks and Glasses

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I have to wear a mask for a job... Juts got some today and tried but it steems my glasses up.. Not masiively like walking into a hot room.. but enough to be annoying and not good when trying to take pics..

Any tips, ideas ?

Would a visor be any better?

It'll be the fitment, either you need something with a closer fit around the nose (and possibly looser elsewhere) or a more breathable fabric.

I use a Buff pulled over my nose and mouth, glasses seem fine with that.

I have to wear one in my daily work. I've yet to find any mask that works. They all steam up my glasses after a short while when they get a bit warm and moist ( not rude jokes )
The only thing I have found is glasses wipes that seem to slow it down a little. My latest mask would make it nearly impossible to get my glasses close to a viewfinder, but it's a fully shaped mask like most decent industrial masks.

You want to try and get the glasses just over the mask. So depends on what type you have to get it to work.

Get a longer lens and ditch the mask, or get rid of the glasses[emoji40]
I’d keep walking into things if I got rid of my glasses lol. I wear varifocals too and the mask pushes them up. I must look a complete weirdo looking up to try and focus through the bottom of my glasses as well as wearing a large mask.

I’d keep walking into things if I got rid of my glasses lol. I wear varifocals too and the mask pushes them up. I must look a complete weirdo looking up to try and focus through the bottom of my glasses as well as wearing a large mask.

bifocals here ... looks like i am just gonna have to grin and bear it :(

I did a delivery to a factory last week, security gave me a mask , "you have to wear this at all times while on site"

By the time I'd driven to the barrier I couldn't see where I was going, couldn't take my glasses off because I couldn't see where I was going so the mask had to go while I was driving

Got to the booking in desk which had been moved from the main office to just inside the door of the very large factory, she had a mask on, I had a mask on there was a perspex screen between us , I handed the paperwork over , she said something , nope no idea, can't hear a word you're saying because of the background noise of the factory so she had to come out from behind the screen and speak to me

That's working well then

The forklift driver was wearing a mask outside in the open air whilst driving the forklift which is a bit like wearing a condom when you go to bed but you're single

I think everybody is clutching at straws

Found this top tip

The Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England published an article in 2011 that offered a simple method to prevent fogging, suggesting that, just before wearing a face mask, people wash their spectacles with soapy water, shake off the excess and then allow the lenses to air-dry.

"Washing the spectacles with soapy water leaves behind a thin surfactant film that reduces this surface tension and causes the water molecules to spread out evenly into a transparent layer,” the article reveals. “This ‘surfactant effect’ is widely utilised to prevent misting of surfaces in many everyday situations.” Antifogging solutions used for scuba masks or ski goggles also accomplish this.

Git some Vaseline, dab a bit on your finger and touch the front and back surfaces of your lenses, wipe of with a clean cloth until clear.
They won't steam up then and you can wear your mask as it should be.

Works on bathroom mirrors as well.

Git some Vaseline, dab a bit on your finger and touch the front and back surfaces of your lenses, wipe of with a clean cloth until clear.
They won't steam up then and you can wear your mask as it should be.

Works on bathroom mirrors as well.

I use hand soap on my bathroom shaving mirror. Rub a moist cloth on the bar of soap then spread it over the mirror. Polish it off with toilet tissue or similar. That works to stop it fogging.

I have to wear a mask for a job... Juts got some today and tried but it steems my glasses up.. Not masiively like walking into a hot room.. but enough to be annoying and not good when trying to take pics..

Any tips, ideas ?

Is it the surgical style mask or a proper valved one?

I have to wear one in my daily work. I've yet to find any mask that works. They all steam up my glasses after a short while when they get a bit warm and moist ( not rude jokes )
The only thing I have found is glasses wipes that seem to slow it down a little. My latest mask would make it nearly impossible to get my glasses close to a viewfinder, but it's a fully shaped mask like most decent industrial masks.
If you are required to wear one for work then you need to be Fit tested. (It is a legal requirement) the fact your glasses steam up means your mask isn't fitting correctly.

If you are required to wear one for work then you need to be Fit tested. (It is a legal requirement) the fact your glasses steam up means your mask isn't fitting correctly.

This. Especially for valved masks.

Nope you only have to be fit tested for FFP3 masks.

The HSE guidance I've seen includes all half face masks including FFP1 and FFP2? Don't know about actual required legislation though.

Although even with the perimeter seal of FFP3 I find it still needs proper fitting.

Edit: but this is the bit I found most relevant to the problem of the glasses steaming up, "the fact your glasses steam up means your mask isn't fitting correctly."

I'm not sure about surgical masks though.

Last edited:
wearing a mask in a work environment is all about stopping you spreading droplets of possible infection into the atmosphere, all this talk of ffp2 and ffp3 is about you inhaling loose droplets in the air like in a hospital ward, basically if everyone wears a type IIR basic mask then all droplets are trapped in the mask of the exhale so the person infected keeps it to themselves. you should not be wearing ffp2 or ffp3 masks wandering about society, all you are doing is wasting money and making it difficult for me to buy it for my dental surgery.

utter s***e, the requirements depend on the role you are doing, most companies require you to wear a type IIR mask to restrict you spreading droplet matter.
face fit is for when you need to wear a mask to FILTER out airborne particles in the air that have been classed as dangerous eg covid wards or could be high bad dust environments.

Nope you only need to be be fit tested for FFP3 masks.
All tight fitting facemasks or respirators should be fit tested to confirm their effectiveness.
These are designed to stop you inhaling particles.
I wear an ffp3 at work when sampling asbestos.
I wear a cartridge respirator when spraying paint. If they don't fit properly, they are useless.
My glasses don't steam up when I use either.

Last edited:
FFP1 does not need to be fit tested, this is your surgical type mask for protection against droplet and dust size particles. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 22% to the person wearing it.
FFP2 does not need to be fit tested, this is commonly used in hospital environment for protection against influenza and in some areas currently coronavirus, like Ive been wearing the last 5 days in a row as our patients are either ventilated or on CPAP / Hi flow but not known covid positive. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 8% to the person wearing it.
FFP3 does need fit testing (which is why Im incredulous at them being sold by the likes of screwfix to be honest) and these filter 99% of very fine particles and aerosols and have a leakage of less than 2% from the external environment. Hence these are for active covid / TB / asbestos etc.

Do the regulations apply to members of the public in a non-professional setting?
I hear tales of folks wearing FFP3/N99 masks with holes cut in for ease of breathing/talking/smoking, but no mention of any sanctions being applied to them.

Do the regulations apply to members of the public in a non-professional setting?
I hear tales of folks wearing FFP3/N99 masks with holes cut in for ease of breathing/talking/smoking, but no mention of any sanctions being applied to them.

And this is exactly why masks were never initially recommended for the public as they have zero training how to wear them properly. As for the regulations you ask about, no, only in work settings as it's health and safety at work.

I've seen a video set in America with a women behind the counter serving - she has a huge hole cut for her mouth haha :facepalm:

FFP1 does not need to be fit tested, this is your surgical type mask for protection against droplet and dust size particles. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 22% to the person wearing it.
FFP2 does not need to be fit tested, this is commonly used in hospital environment for protection against influenza and in some areas currently coronavirus, like Ive been wearing the last 5 days in a row as our patients are either ventilated or on CPAP / Hi flow but not known covid positive. They have a leakage from the environment of up to 8% to the person wearing it.
FFP3 does need fit testing (which is why Im incredulous at them being sold by the likes of screwfix to be honest) and these filter 99% of very fine particles and aerosols and have a leakage of less than 2% from the external environment. Hence these are for active covid / TB / asbestos etc.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that if N95 technology is involved then FFP1, 2 and 3 can be fit tested? But again, I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement or simply a case that they can be done (voluntarily?), although if not a requirement then I don't understand why FFP1 and 2 would be in the HSE guidance for fit testing?

FFP2 respirators filter out droplets and ordinarily require the wearer to have a face fit test. ... 'All healthcare settings are reminded that where their risk assessment has identified the requirement for a tight-fitting respirator users must pass a face fit test for that respirator model before it can be used.

It looks like PHE have changed the guidelines for health professionals in non surgical settings.

Screenshot_20200620-103421_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I'll go and have a look to see if I've got some files kicking about, it's not something I'm particularly clued up on and am involved more incidentally, so I'm happy to learn more.

FFP2 respirators filter out droplets and ordinarily require the wearer to have a face fit test. ... 'All healthcare settings are reminded that where their risk assessment has identified the requirement for a tight-fitting respirator users must pass a face fit test for that respirator model before it can be used.

Certainly where I work no one has been fit tested for ffp2 as far as im aware, only for ffp3. Ive never heard of fit testing for ffp2.

Edit to add that I, like many, have had to be fit tested twice due to the first masks running out so had to go through it again.

Last edited:
Back