Covid Share-buying surge

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
And your point is?

It not as if their activity will crash the market.

And your point is?

The lack of activity once they have bought all they dare will slow the market even if it does not crash it. The shares they have bought will reduce in value quite quickly.

Well, let's hope not. I think the world has had enough problems this year already.

And your point is?

A good example of the shortcomings of forum chat. Misunderstanding.

My point is not what effect it’s having on the stock market but the the high risk this activity carries with it especially for those who are new to it and it’s potential adverse effects as highlighted by the second link re the suicide. The reason I mentioned that it’s believed the market is being pushed higher by ‘newbies’ was to highlight the high level of participation by this group. It’s why I included the first link.

To highlight one share they burnt their fingers with. Hertz. The Robinhood traders..the stock-buying app..piled in without knowing/appreciating the problems. It’s a short read. The last paragraph is what I was highlighting.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/17/all-bets-are-off-as-hertz-pulls-plan-to-issue-500-million-in-new-stock/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHYfyzDZGp87KBJOTstGdKdlVWLQVhXml3qp9-gnnYmJ0oLIbceTbyx7kkTHSRc3zAUZ-xWRPQdz0-uSAsqoGh6gnWI1S7Vti_ZxBk3excc_XfB62ydYEMxe5TGPjIsPMTb8JokxRR4CInVlNBn7uLeqffv2sSXpcU1UzIF81rnL

Last edited:
It might be a bit more relevant to us if it was about the UK market.

Some are doing similar with the government backed loans they've managed to lie themselves into.

The stock market is basically betting, especially if you're after fast returns. Not a bad time to buy, IF you can afford to take the losses that might accrue.

Some are doing similar with the government backed loans they've managed to lie themselves into.

The stock market is basically betting, especially if you're after fast returns. Not a bad time to buy, IF you can afford to take the losses that might accrue.

Aye, the BBLS was a self-certifying scheme and with it being 100% backed by the Government I don't think the banks would have been saying no to anyone. So anyone with a dormant or spare limited company could grab up to £50k, do a bit of creative accounting and then fold.

In Scotland there was a Pivotal Enterprise Resilience Fund and all you had to demonstrate that you were vital to the Scottish economy either locally, regionally or nationally. But it was just a short written paragraph needed, plus a 12 month cash flow and recent Statutory Accounts. I managed to get £37k and it took less than two weeks from application to money hitting the bank, so I can't imagine the checks were very thorough?

Last edited:
It might be a bit more relevant to us if it was about the UK market.

Fair point. I am active in the market and see it all as one..we tend to follow Wall Street, infact the influence here starts around 1.00 pm with the DOW, S&P-Nasdaq Futures before the 2.30pm (our time) opening and the influence becomes more marked as the trading day in the US progresses and if well down so are we towards close and often the next morning at 8.00 opening but I posted it in the context of people stuck at home wondering how to occupy themselves however, as I say you, make a fair point.

If someone is prepared to put in the time there's never been a better opportunity (as they say)to trade with the swings that are taking place. Barclays bank being one of the better ones. I've traded it three times in the past month.It's gone from 74p to 132p..from March 19th not in one straight line,of course to 132 June 8th.It closed on Friday at 116.56. If you have a look at the time scale options just above the chart you'll see how it's moved. 1W is one week. 1M one month etc. I'm using these dates re4 Covid influence. Just before Covid it was approx 180p over the early weeks Jan/Feb.

https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChart.asp?sharechart=BARC&share=Barclays

Lloyds the same
https://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChart.asp?sharechart=LLOY&share=Lloyds

Both are very well capitalised. I'm familiar with their movements and history so the other aspect is to know your share.

Example. Lloyds..32p and sell at 36p.It can get there because 38p also on June 8th (obviously a good day) was it's recent high. So a 4p increase would give 13% profit. If it took a month to get there it's equivalent to 144% per annum minus costs.

Barcs 114-122 8p rise = 7% but the thing with Barcs is that it is sometimes moving up by that in a day followed a 3p the following day. It's a 1.2 Beta stock. Ie. 20% more volatile than the norm.I wouldn't recommend day trading, though. There's a .5% stamp duty. There's the broker's commision but there are many good deals around. I pay £24 quarterly and £7.50 per deal on a frequent trader basis with The Share Centre.

With these two if, as an example, you pay 32p and they actually go down because ..and this is a real prospect..COVID cases/deaths in the US start rising in cities that have eased lockdown..and this is happening, then the Indices will drop and your Barcs and Lloyds will drop but no problem..they'll be back. Many must have lost a great deal of money if they sold or are sitting on large paper losses in Airlines..retail (bar the essentials..ie food and online) catering,manufacturing, marketing holiday/leisure and as mentioned in my second post, car rental.The winners..the stay-at home businesses like Netflix-Amazon-Zoom-Some pharmaceuticals will do well re treatment and vaccines, delivery companies are doing fine because people have been stuck at home.

I agree. I learnt my lesson 20 years ago and now use vehicles that are a lot less volatile than the stock market. You can make a loss on any investment, so my rules are...
  1. Split your investment pot at least 10 ways.
  2. Use a mix of safe and risky investments.
  3. Never chase your losses.
Money Ixus 70 0877.JPG

Back