Coypu

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Otherwise known as a river rat. I've never seen one before and was told there were some in a local river near Martigné Ferchaud,Brittany when we visited there this last weekend. I had no way of getting down to the river bank in a position to be able to photograph them so these photos were taken from a small bridge.

We had Coypu here in the Uk..imported from S. America for their fur (some escaped,some were released) but were so destructive to crops and river banks with their burrows in East Anglia,where they were, that they were totally eradicated in 1989

Attempts will soon be made to net these below and then euthanised. Normally they will live for 6 years but suffer in cold winters.

Photo 2 shows one swimming and the red in it's mouth are its front teeth.They have 20 teeth. This red/orange colouring is caused by a pigment in the enamel which contains mineral iron giving this colouring. The iron is there to give them tough teeth.Youngsters start off life with regular white teeth but over time they change to the red/orange colour.

20z7ngl.jpg

34fh5x2.jpg

24n03o3.jpg

21kdlw3.jpg

3354oxv.jpg

jpbedy.jpg

Back