creating a temporary network

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
my parents and girlfriend both have speedtouch modems usb'd to thier pc's and as such i cant use my laptop without unplugging anything. but i want to scrounge internet off them while im here.

whats my best bet? should i buy a wifi dongle and put it in the back of the computer i want to scrounge internet off and set that up, or can i create a simple link via cat5 or usb cables? im thinking the dongle is the way forwards but will it work?

thanks in advance, help me solve my festive boredom

Make them buy a router... it'll be so much easier for them!

You can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing ) on the PC used for the internet, then using a network cable (assuming the internet PC has a spare/unused network port), you can access the internet from your laptop via that connection.

To set it up just search for ICS in the windows help, it'll be faster and better than my explanation.

just had a look and the desktop has neh network port on it, plus i can sneak a network dongle into the back of a pc no problem, i cant go wiring stuff, ill get shouted at!

Would connection sharing work between a usb network dongle and the built in wireless on my laptop?

If you're connecting the lappy directly to the PC, don't forget to use a crossover network cable...

EDIT: Just read your update! You'd need to get sneaky and configure the network dongle...

If you're connecting the lappy directly to the PC, don't forget to use a crossover network cable...

now ive tried that before between two computers and NEVER got it to work dispite hours of trying so im not keen on spending more money on another xover cable.

wireless is the way forwards i recon! but will it work?

cheers for your help here guys

Wireless will work.

Get the two computers talking and sharing files then set up ICS on the desktop and you're away :)

ive been trying to do that since 9.30 this morning. the computers connect to each other across an adhoc connection, internet connection sharing is enabled and the laptop goes as far as to show its internet gateway as the one on the desktop, yet no joy at all getting it to communicate enough to let me use the tinterweb!

any ideas?

I HATE NETWORKING!

I'd guess you both need to be part of the same workgroup. control panel >system>computer name... join a workgroup.

Another possibility is the networks need to be 'bridged' on the desktop. Right click the network item and choose bridge. Internet and lan are different networks on the pc. The connection sharing wizard should have sorted that but doesn't always.

Not done any of this for ages so could be all rubbish advice :)

if its running XP use the network setup doohicky thats built in, works for me!

Are you assigning IP addresses properly? In connection properties for your wireless adapters, click on TCP/IP and enter the following:

PC 1 (with internet)
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

PC 2
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1

Then you will need to share the internet connection on PC 1.

Go to network connections, right-click, properties. Click 'Advanced' and tick the top box under 'internet connection sharing'.

That should do it.

Oh - forgot to mention that you need to set it up as an 'ad hoc' rather than 'infrastructure' network.

i hadnt assigned my IP's everything was still set to automatic, sadly its stil not working so im going to buy my dad a router tomorrow, that way he can connect his work laptop to the house as well

Back