Name
Nikolay
Edit My Images
No
Interesting, and that's the main thing!

I don't think it really works for me, though. The mood of the two separate exposures don't work well together and the lighting isn't that great on either. You've got much, much stronger work on your website.

Thanks for you comment juggler!
I'd be interested to find out what sort of lighting setup you would of use to achieve similar mood. Note - this a single exposure image, it is not composed out of two separate exposures.

Last edited:
just take out the blurred bowler hat...
did you figure it out then?

Thanks for you comment juggler!
I'd be interested to find out what sort of lighting setup you would of use to achieve similar mood. Note - this a single exposure image, it is not composed out of two separate exposures.

That's a good question. I'm not entirely sure. My starting point would be to try to get the face is well lit at each of the stationary points, i.e. avoid having the eyes in shadow and probably less broad lit. And probably less lit overall.

This is an old one and has flaws but I wonder whether it would be possible to combine your long exposure idea with something closer to this?

Self.jpg

@mrtoad - The hat is actually very good detail of the whole composition, personally I like how balance the bottom and top of the frame and at the same time, do to the object representation, adds an extra artistic element.

really Nikolay i was not seeing this as you did...more amateurish and from my simpler point of view
i now see the balance you were committed to show and the result is truly artistic
i have looked at your website with envy yet knowing there is more to portraiture than just a simple set up needed to equal your results
above all the portraits of the men in costume have captured my imagination
good luck
geof

Back