Undecided Crediting location compositions?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
What’s the etiquette for crediting location compositions? Reason I ask is I’ve seen an amazing picture and recognized the location. It doesn’t feel very creative to go to the same spot and get the picture. On the other hand I guess people have been doing this for a long time?

I would say there isn't an etiquette to such a thing. Inspiration comes from many sources, who is to say the author of the particular photograph you mention didn't see it done somewhere else?

I would say there isn't an etiquette to such a thing. Inspiration comes from many sources, who is to say the author of the particular photograph you mention didn't see it done somewhere else?

That’s true, I’ll ask. It’s not a scene I’ve seen before.

What’s the etiquette for crediting location compositions? Reason I ask is I’ve seen an amazing picture and recognized the location. It doesn’t feel very creative to go to the same spot and get the picture. On the other hand I guess people have been doing this for a long time?
It might be very creative, and educational, to go to the same spot, take the same photograph, and then spend a few hours working out why it's not so good. I know locations where such well known iconic photographs, plus drawings, paintings, and etchings, have been done that at the right times of day there's always a handful of photographers trying to do their version, plus often a tutor explaining to a small group what they're not doing right yet, and so on.

There are also, supposedly, locations that have indentations in the rock/ground because so many people have set their tripod up in the exact same spot to get the same shot. Don't worry about it, if you want to get the same(ish) shot then go for it.

I've visited the spot today and it's the one. Now to wait for some good light.

Back