Crib Goch

Edit My Images
No
Hello folks,

Last night I had a wonderful little walk up the mighty Crib Goch and thought I'd share a wee snap from the evening...it turn out rather nice after an umpromissing start!

A few hundred feet above me on the next peak was Kevin Obrian from this parish (not the figure in the picture!). I had hoped to get up there to him but this was as far as I got.

I'm really looking foward to seeing what he captured on what was a stunning evening :)

A sublime evening on Crib Goch - Snowdonia - Wales by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

nice image - the figure adds scale which makes the image along with the lighting.

I think it's a cracking picture. If I'd have captured the way the lights hitting the rocks they way you have I would have been well chuffed

:LOL: :D

Cracking image and light but I think the figure would be better if it was against the water, just a shame it was in the shadow.
I think it works ok as it is as the figure is that little splash of red to pull the eye.

Belter that!! That's one of my favourite scrambles, What a lovely day to be up on the Mountain Nick.
Light just kissing Yr Wyddfa and the ridge with the climber. I think there is just enough light on him to highlight his presence, as Byker says.

Just thinking the wife might not sus Crib-Goch, or Llech Ddu, She knows Sharp edge, Bristly Ridge and Striding edge now but I might get away with a route plan there. Trouble is shes taking to checking on Topo maps now too;)

Thanks all, here's a wider view which some might prefer.

I love the image and the summer colours but I don't like the figure in the frame.

Steve, for me the figure (Lara, who posed wonderfully for me) is what the image is all about. The view may be nice but to enjoy it you have to be capable of getting there to enjoy it and that is the narrative of the image. Much landscape photography is a passive activity in terms of really interacting with the subject matter but to experience -and photograph- such a scene one must put the effort in and really grapple with that which we seek to capture. That's why the figure, to me, is an intergral part of the image.

Lonely as a cloud by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Nick, I prefer the wider shot but from the aesthetic point of view disagree the human element adds to it.

It's clear you're high up and on difficult terrain and the composition alone (with or without Lara) speaks volumes.

Lovely shot Nick of an amazing scramble, I really like the way the light falls on the ridge and for me the figure gives you a fairly instant sense of scale that I like.

Nick, I prefer the wider shot but from the aesthetic point of view disagree the human element adds to it.

It's clear you're high up and on difficult terrain and the composition alone (with or without Lara) speaks volumes.

I know you like barren landscapes Steve, but in this case it's a known walking route. The thing with this image (and I prefer the original) is you're left wondering how the walker/climber got there. There's more of a story than just a pretty picture of a landscape, hence why I said the figure adds to the image. It adds an additional depth.

The thing with this image (and I prefer the original) is you're left wondering how the walker/climber got there.

I'd agree - the original makes the viewer use their imagination a wee bit more in my opinion. Both cracking shots though.

Thanks all, here's a wider view which some might prefer.

Steve, for me the figure (Lara, who posed wonderfully for me) is what the image is all about. The view may be nice but to enjoy it you have to be capable of getting there to enjoy it and that is the narrative of the image. Much landscape photography is a passive activity in terms of really interacting with the subject matter but to experience -and photograph- such a scene one must put the effort in and really grapple with that which we seek to capture. That's why the figure, to me, is an intergral part of the image.

Lonely as a cloud by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

There are two schools of though in evidence here. One school is dedicating itself to the ideology of pure landscape photography, i.e. landscapes without a human factor, and the other is taking the 'view' of this being a commercial image that evokes feelings of human endeavour and what is our place in the world. I agree with both but they have very different purposes.

I said to Nick on Facebook last night, I hope he got a shot the same without Lara in it. That isn't because I don't like her in it, but rather it's good to hedge your bets.

IMHO, this is one of the best images Nick has taken, and he has taken a lot of very very good images. It has almost everything you'd want from a landscape photograph. Personally, I'd have liked a little more space at the edges, so I'd have applied some shift (assume I'd have been shooting with the 24mm TSE) and stitch in post. However, it is what it is and Nick isn't me! Nick also knows I'd probably have shot for portrait, lol. Anyway, as this was shot for Trail magazine and book cover (potentially?) then having Lara in it makes complete sense, thankfully she doesn't have her arms out-stretched...good direction there Mr Livesey. She's also in a position that makes cloning her out very easy indeed, so the photo remains useful for other purposes should Nick so wish. So, not so bad then :)

Personally, I don't think anyone can unfairly criticise the image for having a figure in it, it's just one representation of the scene that can easily be altered without upsetting the fabric of the photo. Having said all that, I still hate the b*****d for stealing my light :mad:;)

I know you like barren landscapes Steve, but in this case it's a known walking route. The thing with this image (and I prefer the original) is you're left wondering how the walker/climber got there. There's more of a story than just a pretty picture of a landscape, hence why I said the figure adds to the image. It adds an additional depth.

I don't wonder that at all - she climbed as did the photographer who it - its abundantly obvious. I couldn't do it but mountineering types can.

I sense a lot of people don't agree with me on the subject, and that is fine we are not all the same. I feel the human element distracts from the shot, others do not. However Greg points out the commerical viability of the human element and the ease of which that be cloned out.

Smashing shot Nick, a shot where the human element has been thought about and really lifts it further for me - I like this sort of thing when it's done well like it is here and not flippantly/lazily.

Amazing photo of a place I love. I prefer the wider crop. I appreciate the thought and planning it took to send your "model" ahead to pose in that spot.

Both awesome, not going to offer an opinion either way regarding the human element, I think after the first few opinions it gets a bit silly. It's your shot and the choice is yours, it may or may not have been what I would have done, either way the shots 'work' well.

The light is sensational and makes me want to get back on Crib Goch again, I am just a bit nervous about climbing up or down it in the dark after so many years away.

I think the processing in bot his excellent and the sky is a great texture, I bet these were taken the same night the other lad was at the lighthouse on Anglesea actually.

Great photos, the human element is great, gives a sense of scale and majesty. Although I must admit I didn't immediately spot it, being grib goch in the sunset and a red top (reminds me of 'Origins' photographer who routinely packed away a red jacket just for posing and provide scale in his excellent photos - inspired me to take up landscape photography).

Back