Cricket postioning

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, Never having played cricket before, were is the best place to photograph batsman (right handed).
I know you can't go anywhere near the sight screens, but I was thinking probably about 7-8 o'clock if the batsman is at 12 o'clock.
Only village cricket, armed with a 1D mkIV and a 300mm prime with a x1.4 TC & x2 TC.
Any other advise would be appreciated.

You can go near the sight screens, just not behind the bowlers arm, if you know what I mean, my three sons all played cricket, junior, second team ect, my 18yr old played from when he was 7yrs old upto this year, he's 18 now, so I've been to a lot of matches.
Just don't be moving about when the bowlers is running in and you should be ok, you have some room to get close to the bowlers position, just don't get too directly behind him. the other side of wicket you have the non striker, who can get in the way of your photo's too much.

As rob Says you can go near sightscrreen.. as for exact position.. it depends on the bowler which side of the umpire he is bowling.. and it depends on the second batsman what action he takes... You should be looking for two or three different pictures.. one the batsman and hopefully his stumps in pic then if they go up... The wicket keeper or fielders behind the batsman who will dive about to catch the ball in the hope the batsman nicked it.. and probably one of the better cricket shots is the angle the bowler turns to when he is trying to convince the umpire its an lbw.. some great bowler shots turning to the umpire for sure:)

If your there for a whole innings then dont stay same.. go side on when theres a fast bowler as some great shots when he follows through

Also.. cricket played in bright sunshine at 1pm.. your better shooting into the sun than the sun behind you when players have helmets on.. if you ahve a choice then into the second innings as the sun starts to set gives for perfect lighting and really nice colours..

Thanks for the advice. So basically don't be in the line of sight of the batsman or bowler and I won't be shouted at.
Shooting for local paper, who want team photo and some action shots.
I won't be there for the whole match, as I have a family BBQ to go to as well. But hopefully I will get some usable shots early on.

If your interested.. heres a collection of my best of last seasons cricket 2014 only..... some you wont get but the local leagues will.. but theres lots of different pics from all different angles showing not just the one position best... and shows the type of pic you can get.. for me also shows cricket can be less boring than suggested. :) http://www.kipax.com/gallery/index.php?album=CRICKET_MISC/3702

Thanks for Sharing Kipax, gives me an idea of what type of shots work. Wether I get them or not is a different matter

Is there a licence requirement for pro cricket similar to football data co system?

No not for the level you and I are covering.. The highest level of cricket has... where Ian has quoted above.. but for the most part no :)

Back