Cricket - Some shots from today

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
After having a go shooting cricket last weekend, I thought I would have another crack and try something different with some of the shots. I was really trying to avoid distracting backgrounds (as was the advice I received last time) but it's just not always possible :shake:

Anyway, here we go - any feedback, advice or critique on these will be much appreciated :D

Cricket by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - That'll be four more... by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - Tactics by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - Stumped! by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

This is the LINK to the rest of the set, if you would like to click through to see them larger. Cheers!

first is a classic view and works well but needs the exposure upping..

pic 6 is nearly a great picture.. just needed a little bit of space above the batsman to make it work... i did one the other week through on opening in the bushes.. was well recieved..so def a good idea...

Agreed, I like the idea behind the last one too, just that space Tony mentions is needed to make it really work.
With the exception of #4, the other all look a tad underexposed, but some good angles caught [that bowler in #1 needs bigger trousers :LOL: ]

Thanks to each of you for the comments, they really are much appreciated! :D

I totally agree about the last image - I cropped it as shown due to the very distracting background that came with the extra headroom above the batsman, but it's nice to hear that the the concept was sound and it has been well received.

I had a play at pp'ing these in PSE11 (something that I am very new to) but seems that I need to spend a bit more time on that too to make sure they are not underexposed next time (y)

I had a play at pp'ing these in PSE11 (something that I am very new to) but seems that I need to spend a bit more time on that too to make sure they are not underexposed next time (y)

eeerm no! why can't you do it on the day in camera... thats a really bad approach to photography.. shoot now fix later :(

Better to get the exposure right in camera, rather than effing about afterwards - your target with post processing should be to enhance, not correct, as something to aim for, even the most experience will sometimes have to use it to correct - however, it does raise another question too - how do they look on your own screen? if they look correctly exposed, then it might be your computer screen rather than initial exposure that needa a little bit of adjustment. :)

I had a real mare of a day shooting cricket the other day.Early on it was great for shooting as the exposure was steady due to the diffused constant light through the grey clouds. Then at lunchtime when it cleared up with white fluffy clouds and really harsh light from above..The wind was getting up so the exposures were all over the place with the clouds moving infront of the sun..I was concentration more on the exposure than I was on the action..Very mentally tiring. Especially as I was moving around the ground to capture as many angles as possible.

KIPAX / Yv - I was shooting in shutter priority for the most part, so they should have been correctly exposed OOC, but when I loaded the images onto my computer they all seemed very warm, which is what I tried to remedy in PSE11. In doing so I fear I may have "made" them appear underexposed. I was shooting with the 'cloudy' WB setting, so not sure if that contributed to the warm images. Perhaps they weren't overly warm at all - I work on a non-calibrated iMac, so that is something I may need to look into, as you suggest Yv :)

Tug - I know where you are coming from, I found myself constantly checking settings and moving round trying to find the best shooting positions. You really don't get to relax and enjoy the game too much when trying to gather some good shots! Still, I am really enjoying trying new things and learning all the time thanks to the feedback I get from places like TP, so thanks to all of you for contributing :D

KIPAX / Yv - I was shooting in shutter priority for the most part, so they should have been correctly exposed OOC,

No they wont be.. shutter priority, aperture priority or any semi auto mode will not give you a correct exposure with cricket on a bright sunny day..

you need to look at the histogram and get it to spike in the middle..

Firstly - a much better set than the last one's you posted - well done.

Regarding the exposure (and apologies if I'm telling you something you already know) but put simply, when you leave all the exposure calculations to the camera it will try and average out all the tones to what is known as 18% grey. The end result here is that it has seen lots of bright whites and dialled down the exposure to make the whites look like they need a good boil wash!

The simplest ways around this are to either shoot in manual and take a few test shots, checking your histogram, or use your semi-auto modes but dial in some positive exposure compensation. A bit of trial and error before the match will give you an idea of how much is needed, and with cricket being such a stop/start sport you should have plenty of time to get these right before shooting.

Mike

No they wont be.. shutter priority, aperture priority or any semi auto mode will not give you a correct exposure with cricket on a bright sunny day..

you need to look at the histogram and get it to spike in the middle..

Cheers Kipax, I'll be sure to make better use of my histograms next time I'm out :)

Firstly - a much better set than the last one's you posted - well done.

Regarding the exposure (and apologies if I'm telling you something you already know) but put simply, when you leave all the exposure calculations to the camera it will try and average out all the tones to what is known as 18% grey. The end result here is that it has seen lots of bright whites and dialled down the exposure to make the whites look like they need a good boil wash!

The simplest ways around this are to either shoot in manual and take a few test shots, checking your histogram, or use your semi-auto modes but dial in some positive exposure compensation. A bit of trial and error before the match will give you an idea of how much is needed, and with cricket being such a stop/start sport you should have plenty of time to get these right before shooting.

Mike

Thanks very much, Mike! I'm relatively new to all this, but have just finished reading Understanding Exposure by Peterson where I read about this 18% grey notion - interesting stuff. Thanks for the tip re exposure compensation - I will take heed of this, as well as taking and making use of test shots next time I'm out (y)

Hi Gents
Please can you tell me what are the best focus points to use for cricket? Thanks

Hi Gents
Please can you tell me what are the best focus points to use for cricket? Thanks

Holy thread revival Batman!

Can I suggest you start a fresh thread in an appropriate sub fora and with such a wide open general question put some meat on the bones and tell make and model of camera, what lens etc things you see fit to include to avoid folk having to make assumptions!

Back