Cricket

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
These images are from my backlog, captured in July 2017 and processed yesterday. There is a bit of a story behind them to do with how they were captured and the post processing. That is written up in this post in my Journey thread.

The images were captured as raw with a Panasonic G80 with an Olympus 60mm macro lens, hand-held at 1/30 second, ISO 1600, f/16. The raw files were processed with a preset in DXO PhotoLab, a preset in Silkypix and image-specific adjustments in Lightroom, with 1300 pixel high JPEGs exported from Lightroom to which sharpening was applied using Topaz Sharpen AI.

There are 1300 pixel high versions in this album at Flickr.

1570 1 2017_07_28 P1020393_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIS
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1570 2 2017_07_28 P1020413_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIS

1570 3 2017_07_28 P1020414_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIS

1570 4 2017_07_28 P1020416_PLab3 SP9 LR 1300h AIS

Plenty of depth of field there Nick - doubt I could match that with my A7Rii and 90mm

Thanks Mike. You would need f/32 to match the f/16 I used for these. However, you have huge cropping potential with the A7Rii. These were not cropped much so you would easily be able to match this DOF by framing wider and cropping an f/22 image.

Thanks Mike. You would need f/32 to match the f/16 I used for these. However, you have huge cropping potential with the A7Rii. These were not cropped much so you would easily be able to match this DOF by framing wider and cropping an f/22 image.

You're absolutely right of course - I am still trying to get in as close as possible and am running out of DOF... it just doesn't feel like macro to take the shots from further back though!

You're absolutely right of course - I am still trying to get in as close as possible and am running out of DOF...

I catch myself doing that a lot. Even when I'm thinking "this isn't going to work you know" I still do it. Weird.

Basically, for my visual taste, if I fill the width of the frame with a subject it's very, very likely that I won't use the shot because it doesn't have enough DOF for my liking. If I shoot wider and crop to that same framing I am much more likely to use the shot.

That cricket was an exception, with the images hardly cropped at all. This was because of its very long antennae that I wanted to keep in the frame, meaning the the body, head and legs only used a small proportion of the frame width, and so almost all of the body, head and legs could be in focus.

Back