Criterium cycle race

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Certainly gives a sense of speed and the panning is pretty good with the riders being isolated well :)

Thanks, but trust me there are hundreds of failed attempts. I found the bracing my arms and panning with my whole upper body was the best way to keep up and down movement of the camera to a minimum and I then kept my focus point on the riders face and started shooting a few frames before the rider would be directly infront of me.

I'm not a pro but I did look at these and just think 'Wow' so fair play.

Looks like you did a good job under difficult conditions. What kit did you use?

I'm not a pro but I did look at these and just think 'Wow' so fair play.

Thanks, I'm really happy with the results.

Looks like you did a good job under difficult conditions. What kit did you use?

Cheers, I used a Nikon D7100 and two lenses over the event mainly a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and some with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS. I also used my Yongnuo flash for some of them on manual set to about 1/32 power I think I was shooting about f8-11. It was all very much trial and error.

Panning looks good Matt. We were down there for the very end. Looked a good set up.

Panning looks good Matt. We were down there for the very end. Looked a good set up.

@Matt0 - did you make it to Barnsley last Wednesday... I decided to brave the elements, wasn't really "on a mission" to take photos, just wanted to enjoy the race. Great atmosphere, barely interfered with by the intermittent rain, and some great racing from both the "main events" (missed the "undercard", as I couldn't get away early.)

Great shots Matt, they really give a sense of speed, puts my panning shots to shame.

@Matt0 - did you make it to Barnsley last Wednesday... I decided to brave the elements, wasn't really "on a mission" to take photos, just wanted to enjoy the race. Great atmosphere, barely interfered with by the intermittent rain, and some great racing from both the "main events" (missed the "undercard", as I couldn't get away early.)

I couldn't make it in the end, date night happened instead. I saw a little clip of it on the local news and it looked like a really good event.

Nice panning Matt. I especially like the contrast on number 3

Great shots Matt, they really give a sense of speed, puts my panning shots to shame.

Thanks for the kind words guys, i'm itching to get out and photograph another event of some sort.

I couldn't make it in the end, date night happened instead. I saw a little clip of it on the local news and it looked like a really good event.

It was, despite the weather... I managed to get a few pics - pity I didn't do the event justice, as I'm resolutely NOT a sports shooter (more used to still lifes and landscapes I can take hours to get composed to my satisfaction) but at least theres a few "record shots" here if anyones interested (they're not for critique BTW folks - not hijacking the thread - they're really not fit for publication on here as the regulars will quite rightly rip them to bits - I can see major faults in them myself, so experts would probably damage a rib laughing at how pathetic they are.)

Back