Critique Croft Circuit General Testing

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
I've been using some of the General Testing days at Croft to try some stuff around the early part of the lap, any thoughts welcome.
The first two have a fairly strong bit of colour grading on them which looks very odd when they're placed with the more naturally coloured images, so no I haven't slipped on the white balance slider if you're wondering! I've also tried some in 16:9 which is something I've been playing with recently, as I would usually leave everything in 2:3.

A "further round" version of the usual Clervaux photo.

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
by Darren Ward, on Flickr

Trying a bit of pan and flick.

Rapid Prototype

Some variants on panning with the pit building in the background.

#3 About as far past the main part of the building as you can get before the infield barriers start appearing in the left of your frame.

Mazda MX5

#4 Fairly level with the main part.

Alfa Romeo 156

#5 And back past the other way, from near the chicane.

Mazda MX5

#6 Same location as #4 but looking the opposite side of the track.

Mazda MX5

I feel like there's something in this part of the track with the way Hawthorn flows into Chicane but perhaps it needs to be done in the first few laps of a race to get a good flow of cars too.

Porsche Boxster

And a more conventional image for those of you who get nauseous from motion blur.

Chevron GR8 & Porsche Boxster

Last edited:
Alright Darren, this post almost got lost to the sands of time.
Good solid panning throughout. I particularly like the pan and flick shot, but I think if this was processed differently, it would be a much more effective shot. The lurid green is way too distracting, and I think some local contrast and clarity adjustments to the car would further enhance the detail, which youve captured really well.
The first shot is a nice angle, and one I use myself, particularly for first lap shots, likewise 8 is pleasing too, and theres only a couple of events where you'll get people in that Grandstand!
The panning work thoughout is really good, I don't think that Croft lends itself well to photography though, no undulations and restricted access make for few interesting opportunities.
I find it tough to make a shot here that screams Croft, which is a shame, as its a good drivers circuit I reckon, but it certainly doesn't offer the opportunities of other UK circuits.
Didn't mean to turn this into an anti-croft rant, but its only 10 mins from my house, and I just wish it was a bit more photogenic!

Back