Crook Peak Sunrise

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
With our week of annual leave spent at home (was meant to be mountaineering in the scottish highlands) coming to an end we decided to have an early start instead of a late finish for our daily exercise today. I really hate early mornings!

We did a small circuit around Crook Peak in Somerset. After just about managing to drag ourselves out of bed at 3am we made it to the summit a good 40mins before sunrise which enabled me to have a good look around. To start with there were 2 other couples at the summit which allowed me to compose as I wanted, however by 10mins before sunrise there were loads of people around, so for actual sunrise I was fairly limited with my composition so that I didn’t annoy others.

I am starting to feel like I am getting used to the wide angle lens, but would really welcome any c&c with regards to composition, editing or anything else.

1#
Sunrise from Crook Peak by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

2#

3#

thanks for looking

Al

I prefer #3 out of them in all honesty with the sidelighting rather than facing the sun. I've always wanted to shoot it at sunrise from the top right of #2 looking back at Crook Peak. But not got around to it yet :)

I prefer #3 out of them in all honesty with the sidelighting rather than facing the sun. I've always wanted to shoot it at sunrise from the top right of #2 looking back at Crook Peak. But not got around to it yet :)
thanks, yes I loved the side lighting and had other plans for it, however with all the people that turned up it wasn’t feasible as there would have been about 30 (appropriately socially distancing) people in it

It's often hard to shoot scenes like this without direct light which is why number 3 is the best - the side lighting brings it to life. I just wonder if more could have been done with the composition to make the tree more prominent

I think I prefer no 3 too. It just looks more natural and has more of that nice early light.

1 and 2 should really have more sky to be better balanced.

thank you for the feedback. I chose to limit the sky as it wasn’t that interesting, but see what you mean
It's often hard to shoot scenes like this without direct light which is why number 3 is the best - the side lighting brings it to life. I just wonder if more could have been done with the composition to make the tree more prominent
Thank you. I was fairly limited from a composition point of view due to the number of people around. I also really like 3 due to the light.

I really like #1. You've got a lovely lead in line of the path and wall. #2 of course has the same - but the added foreground interest really pulls the image together and it is not overpowered by the sun.

Back