Critique Crooked Spire at Night

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
First time posting in this section, so please go easy on me ;)

Went out with a mate the other night round Chesterfield Town centre, to see what we could come up with, no real plan as such

The Crooked Spire is a pretty well photographed building in Chesterfield in the day time, so we thought we'd have a go at night, it is lit up, but the light is pretty terrible (bright yellow), but it wasn't until i got back home and loaded them onto the laptop that i realised just how bad (see attached before shot, sooc)

Anyhow, while attempting to not simply do a mono conversion, and after much head scratching and experimentation in LR, i finally came up with the following couple of images, do they work or should i have just gone with a mono conversion

Comments and critique welcomed

Autumnal Spire
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Crooked Spire At Night
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Attachments

• DSC_9937.jpg
    DSC_9937.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 13

Rich, you got a good spook recipe with this rendition…
I dig the leafs in the foreground but the best is the crazy bell tower!

Rich, you got a good spook recipe with this rendition…
I dig the leafs in the foreground but the best is the crazy bell tower!

Thanks Kodiak, it wasn't built like this, the story goes it was built with damp wood, and the combination of the wood drying and the weight of the lead roof caused it to twist

Or if you listen to the Verger of the Church, it was that a virgin was once married in the church, the spire was so surprised it turned round to have a look, and if another virgin was ever to marry again, it would straighten up again :)

Both work really well, the muted colours are atmospheric. I like the leaves in the foreground, a nice perspective.

I would have probably cropped the second image a little more, a little off the right side taking out the bright patch.

…it wasn't built like this, the story goes…

Very cool, thanks! BTW, where is that? …not curious because of my virginity but…

"Verger"… a new one!

Last edited:
Both work really well, the muted colours are atmospheric. I like the leaves in the foreground, a nice perspective.

I would have probably cropped the second image a little more, a little off the right side taking out the bright patch.

Cheers, i'll have a play with the crop on the second , see what i can come up with

Nice composition, works for me.

Looks a very interesting steeple!

Nice composition, works for me.

Looks a very interesting steeple!

Cheers, yes it certainly is, they even do guided tours for a small donation up into the Spire, well worth it if anyone is ever passing

Sounds good, i've done the Salisbury cathedral tour, fascinating place.

Very good indeed, I have kinda passion for churches etc.

As per normal, spoiling a lot peoples images, a blooming litter bin outside! Why don't they consider the scene before planting these things?

Very good indeed, I have kinda passion for churches etc.

As per normal, spoiling a lot peoples images, a blooming litter bin outside! Why don't they consider the scene before planting these things?

Cheers

Good point about the bin, but at least people use it and there was no litter on the floor :)

Back