Cropping in Photomechanic

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just trying to sort this out and wonder if any of you could possibly help please?

Having ingested a photo into photomechanic(PM) and captioned it appropriately, I'm trying to use the crop tool in PM but whenever I export or FTP the image, the crop doesn't take effect on the exported image.

For test purposes, I can right-click the photo, in PM, and click edit, to edit in LR with the crop how I set it in PM. It has all of the metadata imported too.

My question is :

Can I export somehow in PM, the photo with the crop, and FTP it via PM - essentially staying and using just the one application (PM)?

or

Do I have to send it over to LR and FTP it from there once edited?

Many thanks,
Wez

P.S. What I did at the Gills game last week, was to send them over to LR, edit them, and then export to a folder named "ready to send". I then sent the contents of this folder via FTP, from PM. A bit of to-and-froing, hopefully there's a simpler way! :)

No not yet, unless it's in the latest version, I took years to get the cropping tool.....!!

Tbh the PM crop tool is a bit crap. If you are using LR in your workflow, I'd suggest cropping in there.

Thank you both.

I think the way I've been doing it then, must be the quickest way?

I've not found Photomechanic crop tool to be crap, at least since they allowed you to rotate as well as crop - it does what it says on the tin

I have complained to Camera Bits (makers of PM) about the really poor editing facilities in PM and they are resting on their laurels. PM needs a ' lighten shadows' slider and 'select cropped images' tool. An upgraded version is well overdue. It's a pain having to use other editing software just to do the simplist of things.

Photo Mechanic never has been, isn't and never will be, an image editor. I've no idea why you think Camera Bits would or should take notice of you.

PM needs a ' lighten shadows' slider and 'select cropped images' tool.
You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you may have possibly missed it...

While you can't select cropped images, you can sort them to the beginning or end of your contact sheet, by sorting using Sort by {hascrop}; which makes selecting the cropped images easier.

Apologies if I'm stating the bloomin' obvious. :)

As for basic image editing tools, it's been requested ever since I started using the program almost 20 years ago, I think Camera Bits are quite adamant that PM will not alter your images (just the metadata).

Last edited:
You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you may have possibly missed it...

While you can't select cropped images, you can sort them to the beginning or end of your contact sheet, by sorting using Sort by {hascrop}; which makes selecting the cropped images easier.

Apologies if I'm stating the bloomin' obvious. :)

As for basic image editing tools, it's been requested ever since I started using the program almost 20 years ago, I think Camera Bits are quite adamant that PM will not alter your images (just the metadata).
I did not know about that it's not as beneficial as select cropped but may be useful. PM 20 yrs! it's time someone else copied there software with the additions mentioned. Wastes time using other software for editing. I fail to see how Camera Bits cannot see this.

I did not know about that it's not as beneficial as select cropped but may be useful. PM 20 yrs! it's time someone else copied there software with the additions mentioned. Wastes time using other software for editing. I fail to see how Camera Bits cannot see this.
Photomechanic isn't an image editor :( it's a browsing and captioning tool - and it's the best at what it does

I fail to see how Camera Bits cannot see this.

Because,as a company, they are very, very, good at what they do and know that it's better to be a master of one trade than and mid-range generalist.

It's one of the reasons that it's taking them so long to add the promised cataloguing function.

Because,as a company, they are very, very, good at what they do and know that it's better to be a master of one trade than and mid-range generalist.

This. I'd much rather they focus on doing the core product very well and leave editing to the likes of Lightroom.

Yes, you can definitely upload cropped images from PM - I do it all the time, In the File Upload screen there are all sorts of settings but in the Transmit/Image Processing section there is a box you tick to apply your cropping to uploaded images. Tick that box and it works every time.

Back