Cropston Res Sunset

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Dashed home after my last job today as I could see the sunset was going to look nice. Taken at Cropston Reservoir, I got there just after the Sun had set, was another tog there and he left just as I arrived, I don't know why because the best part of the Sunset for me is when the Sun has just dipped below the horizon and the best colours are abouts to paint the sky.

Cropston Reservoir Sunset by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Yep, very pleasant. Liking the exposure too. Not over done on the highlights and shadows lifted just enough to give some nice detail

Reactions: smr
Nice one Joel! You do sometimes get some spectacular sunsets over the reservoir. As mentioned, the crop suits the image well.

I think as the guys have said it is a lovely sky and a well framed photo.

However for me personally you have not got the contrast/luminance of the scene quite correct. I know it is hard when you are dealing with a scene like this, and it appears to be perhaps an exposure blend, which if so is great you are on the right track. There is some work to do to retain the vibrance and not have muted highlights and flat shadows before it can be really enjoyed though.

This is not a dig, if you are happy with it ignore me. If you agree and have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

I think as the guys have said it is a lovely sky and a well framed photo.

However for me personally you have not got the contrast/luminance of the scene quite correct. I know it is hard when you are dealing with a scene like this, and it appears to be perhaps an exposure blend, which if so is great you are on the right track. There is some work to do to retain the vibrance and not have muted highlights and flat shadows before it can be really enjoyed though.

This is not a dig, if you are happy with it ignore me. If you agree and have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks Craig.

It is indeed an exposure blend as achieving that DR is impossible in a single frame for my Camera.

However, my lightroom skills aren't brilliant - I play with the sliders on the right and have a fairly good understanding of them but not as much as I'd like so any help in that area would be great.

Thanks Craig.

It is indeed an exposure blend as achieving that DR is impossible in a single frame for my Camera.

However, my lightroom skills aren't brilliant - I play with the sliders on the right and have a fairly good understanding of them but not as much as I'd like so any help in that area would be great.
I suspect you might coerce a bit more out of the raw file with a bit of persuasion!

Did you have a tripod? I got a nice shot many moons ago on my old 450D using a 15s exposure after the sun had gone down well behind Bradgate Park, might be worth a go if the light plays nicely again.

I suspect you might coerce a bit more out of the raw file with a bit of persuasion!

Did you have a tripod? I got a nice shot many moons ago on my old 450D using a 15s exposure after the sun had gone down well behind Bradgate Park, might be worth a go if the light plays nicely again.

I did have a tripod yes, the photo is bracketed, I've done a few longer exposures but because my tripod centre column needs to be as high as possible to clear the wall they never seem to come out as good as I'd like, the legs are already extended to their maximum as well and then you've got the wind etc. to deal with and cars driving past right behind you = shots that aren't that sharp on longer exposures.

Back