Critique Crosby Beach, Merseyside

I like #2 but the silhouette doesn't work for me. I think it might be a bald man but could be a woman or a sculpture?

Thanks Paul. Its a Sculpture/Steel statue - the beach at Cosby is full of them scattered across the sands, cheers. J

Number one for me Jason. I live a few minutes away from the beach and this has inspired me to get out there again. I learned most of what I know about photography from taking pics of the Iron Men on the beach.

Chris

They are all the same, and all supposed to be a copy of the sculptor Anthony Gormley's body. 99 I think there are. Some are well sunk into the sand, and most are completely covered at high tide.
Where abouts are you from Blue Moon? I'm just up the road as well.

They are just an artwork. Originally placed there on some form of lease arrangement. Then when Gormley wanted to sell them to Uncle Sam there was public outcry and the local Council did something positive for the only time in their existence and bought them.

They are all identical. 99 I think is the number. They are placed along a large wide beach but are spaced too far apart to realistically use more than one in a shot.

The local scallies put Liverpool/Everton footy jerseys on them and various other bits and pieces but the tides soon rip them away.

Best shots seem to be sunset shots. They are a bit too stark for most other uses.

thanks for your comments - Im please they inspired you again chris, post yours below when you get round to it.

It was my first visit - really enjoyed visiting. will no doubt be back

Thanks again

J

They are just an artwork. Originally placed there on some form of lease arrangement. Then when Gormley wanted to sell them to Uncle Sam there was public outcry and the local Council did something positive for the only time in their existence and bought them.

They are all identical. 99 I think is the number. They are placed along a large wide beach but are spaced too far apart to realistically use more than one in a shot.

The local scallies put Liverpool/Everton footy jerseys on them and various other bits and pieces but the tides soon rip them away.

Best shots seem to be sunset shots. They are a bit too stark for most other uses.

It was the other way around. Anthony Gormley wanted the statues to stay in Merseyside and actually turned up at the Town Hall when the council were debating it to support them staying. They were in other countries beforehand and if memory serves me right they came to us from Stavenger. There were 100 statues initially but at my end of the beach there was a problem with some people objecting to the impact on water sports and some were taken away. I was miffed as these were the ones that I used to practice on at sunsets and sunrise. Quite a sight when the tide is fully in first thing in the morning and then starts to go out with all these figures emerging. They are now very worn and covered in barnacles. When they first came they were still pretty clear and are all casts of Gormley. Some are quite far out and it can cause problems if people go out to them as there is quicksand in some parts. I almost got caught out myself once!

Chris

Back