Cross country horse jumping

Name
Darren Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
So today was my first experience at cross country horse jumping and the brief was no post processing other then minor cropping. So here's some results. Second time shooting in J-peg, set to standard. How did I do.

_G0I8362 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8337 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8385 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8371 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8225 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8222 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8222 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

_G0I8514 by Darren Russell, on Flickr

Light was bright and harsh, any advice on in camera j-peg settings or anything mutchly welcome.

Last edited:
Very nice, slightly over-exposed. Did you spot-meter on the horse? It's a bugger to get right although that one was a fairly easy colour! Try a grey one day, if I have time I switch between spot and average meterign depending on the horse. Close-ups are lovely, airborne ones a squeak too early excpet 3 and 4 (says he who gets it right every time, not). Were you judging the stride or machine-gunning? How many fps can you do?

For added drama try and find water jumps or a place where you can be below the fence (modern version of an old horse dealers trick), makes the fence look bigger.

Also pure detail but think about the background, I've taken some lovely shots except for portaloos behind :(

And finally, make sure you don't get mown down by a hoss while walking the course!

PS Diamante browband and matchy-matchy pink ear-cover XC? The traditionalist in me trembles in HORROR. Really, children today.........

PPS OMG have just realised OP was from a century ago. Oh well the comments still hold.

Last edited:
Back