Beginner Cross-lit portrait

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, this is my first time sharing my photos here and I'm quite nervous! I'm a hobbyist just getting back into shooting after many years of letting other things in life get in the way.

This is lit with off camera flashes in two softboxes, I can't even tell you how I managed to get both flashes to fire. Shot in my home studio, very quickly, before my five year old got fed up.

I would love to know what you think.

13230138_10154270620764175_9129070066409145434_n.jpg 13221691_10154270620409175_5284789720919235545_n.jpg 13177199_10154270620099175_6899037855578776543_n.jpg

Hi

I am no expert and still learning ocf. I do like the first two, nice lighting and composition. Not sure if it is my phone but both may need a bit more exposure added.

Hi

I am no expert and still learning ocf. I do like the first two, nice lighting and composition. Not sure if it is my phone but both may need a bit more exposure added.

Thanks Sep. Do you mean they appear under exposed to you?

Arrrr, she's a real beauty! Well done on your lighting. Exposure doesn't actually look too bad for me, but there are just a couple of things that maybe niggle me a little bit ... but this is only just my opinion bear in mind...Something to think about for next time perhaps...

I think I would have tried to get your main softbox up a little higher and brought in a little closer... you can tell from the catchlight that it looks like it's on an even par with her, and pulled away at a fair distance. When you have to make yourself a contortionist to get the shot around your softbox, it's normally in the right position. :) I normally have to photoshop a bit of mine out... Bring it in nice and close and that would soften up those shadows on her forehead from the headpiece too, although with how it sits, I think you'd struggle not to get any at all, but make them less noticeable.

I think the second image is the strongest of the three. The pose on the first looks a little odd - I know the look you were trying to go for, but it's a little 'too much' looking over her shoulder as it's made her little head all wonky at a funny angle.

The third, the conversion could perhaps be improved on, maybe up the contrast a bit? Play with your colour saturations a bit too maybe? It almost looks like a straight out-of-the-box desaturation, which doesn't normally work that well. She's also looking down at you, or rather, you're looking up her nose. And her dress looks a little blown in places.

None of these things that I've been perhaps over picky with are deal breakers by any stretch, so please take them with a few grains of salt. These are just things I've had to learn in my journey.

Well done, she's a very pretty little girl, you must be very proud. :)

Don't be nervous! Everyone's trying to help, just some of us are blunter than others :)

Beth's said it all really - I'll just add that I really like the fact that you've gone for a slightly worldly pose and serious look rather than trying to force a smile. The lighting could be tweaked a little but it works well with that vibe.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and provide advice, I really appreciate it.

Sunnyside_up you're absolutely right about the placement of the softboxes, so will make sure they're well in the way next time ;)

I agree that my processing could use some work. I'm really just starting to see what Lightroom 5 can do. I've got plenty of presets that I've bought from various places but I think I need to learn to do more than crop and fiddle about with presets.

It's interesting what is said about the exposure, I think I took them down a little in Lightroom as they looked overcooked to me. I'll revisit them and try a different conversion and come back when I've had a chance to tweak them.

Thanks for the feedback on the posing - I can't take credit for this, my little model was throwing out all these moves in the 20 seconds (not much of an exaggeration) I had her in front of the camera - no idea where she gets them from, but I'll avoid shooting up the nose next time!

Really nice images and agree number two is bestest, nice camera angle and the pose is spot on as she still looks like a child but grown up too (if you get what I mean).
Also concure with Beth about the lights being closer, thats about it for my lighting knowledge :)

Happy snapping !

Gaz

Back