Crossfitters..

• Thread starter Deleted sulking member 63079
  • Start date
D

Deleted sulking member 63079

I've finally been learning to use my studio lights properly.

Borrowed some fellow crossfitters to do the homework my mentor set me

shona-1-2.jpgsophie-1.jpgSophie-14.jpg

Very nice.

For fitness folk I'd normally look to use a smaller, maybe non-frontal, light source to bring out the musculature a bit but that may not have been the brief?

My homework was just to practice the classic lighting patterns + adding some fill and separation. It just happened that when I asked for volunteers they happened to be fitness folk :)

I have others with less central light in loop and Rembrandt patterns too.

My homework was just to practice the classic lighting patterns + adding some fill and separation. It just happened that when I asked for volunteers they happened to be fitness folk :)

I have others with less central light in loop and Rembrandt patterns too.

Is that a course you're doing?

I went through the process of learning to create loop / butterfly / Rembrandt / broad / split etc and came to the conclusion that thinking in those terms doesn't fit terribly well with digital.

It makes sense when you've got a limited number of film frames and you're micro-posing a subject.

However, when doing a modern free-flowing shoot with digital and taking lots of pics it's not very helpful; a small change of head position completely changes the lighting pattern on the face.

Is that a course you're doing?

I went through the process of learning to create loop / butterfly / Rembrandt / broad / split etc and came to the conclusion that thinking in those terms doesn't fit terribly well with digital.

It makes sense when you've got a limited number of film frames and you're micro-posing a subject.

However, when doing a modern free-flowing shoot with digital and taking lots of pics it's not very helpful; a small change of head position completely changes the lighting pattern on the face.

I'm doing a year of mentoring with Gary Hill. And yep, agree, but having not done any studio work at all, I've found learning the fundamentals invaluable so far, and knowing how if the subject moves their head position how it changes the lighting pattern, as well as moving the lights.

Very different to my wedding work, but thoroughly enjoying it.

Back