Crown or Crab Spider

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
This guy is hanging on a 2 metre web in my front yard and I've taken shots of it for the last 2 weeks. The size of the web means that the slightest breeze moves it so it almost never stays at the same distance from the lens. Compound that with a flash which blows out the white back and the black face is too contrasty and the reflections are harsh even with my soft box. Natural light for the win (with no wind :} ).

IMG_0872 by ahs1599, on Flickr

IMG_0868 by ahs1599, on Flickr

Last edited:
Virginia USA... That's what I love about this forum. I get to see lots of things not available here and can return the favor finding oddities in my area... :)

It's certainly not a crab spider so would say crown.. amazing looking spiders that I don't believe we get here. I know Asia has similar looking species.

Harsh light is always going to be an issue with subject such as this so I think you have done really well.

Thanks Bryn, I have a homemade ring diffuser I made for my flash, but it's longer than the lens front and flares back into the sensor. The cardboard tubes I've made won't stay on, so it's out of commission until I can get a screw on extension tube. I'm hoping that will give me better results with these dark and dark/light creatures... Per the identification, I googled "crown spider" and got others images of very similar spiders, but they also said "crab" - Never thought I'd be an armchair entomologist, but it seems that's what one becomes with a hobby such as this! My professor at Uni wanted me to become a biology major, but music called my soul. Better late than never and I appreciate all of the corrections as they come :)

Back