Non UK Cuba: where to go, what to take etc.

davekiddle

Like to feel muppets
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm off to Cuba in a couple of weeks for a two week stay - 3 days in Havana and the rest in Varadero.

Could do with some hints and tips on what to take, where else to go and what's it like getting around on your own?

I should add that this is a family holiday but I plan to do the 'photography thing' (as my wife calls it) in Havana and maybe get out and about for a couple of days on my own from Varadero.

I was thinking of taking 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

I am doing Cuba in November - also thinking along the lines of 16mm through to 200, with a 50mm prime chucked in for good measure. Will be quite good to leave the 80-400 and macro at home for a change...

I only had a Sony RX100 when I was on holiday in Cuba, and plenty to see and enjoy there. We joined some different local tourism groups for day trip to different places.

Cheers guys, I've decided to take what I said in my original post, as I can get it all in a Messenger 250 shoulder bag. I think there's a couple of organised trips I might take up too rather than faff about on my own.

I am doing Cuba in November - also thinking along the lines of 16mm through to 200, with a 50mm prime chucked in for good measure. Will be quite good to leave the 80-400 and macro at home for a change...

I was tempted with the 80-400 VR as there'll be some wildlife opportunities I reckon, but I can't take it all!

We did the same in 2009. I had a canon 400d and standard kit lens.
We stayed in the parque central hotel right in the centre of Havana. We did most things on our own.
In Havana we went to the Partagas cigar factory, Havana Club distillery, club Tropicana, the museum of the revolution, Hemmingways favourite pub as well as just generally walking around. We also visited the Hotel Nacional which is an iconic hotel from the 30's.
In varadero, there's not much to see but it's very relaxing. Whilst there I tried scuba diving, and booked a day boat trip which included swimming with dolphins.
In varadero, the hotel entertainment was brilliant, but it was as if we were back in the 70's.
There's loads of old classic American cars everywhere.
In Havana We did a lot of walking around after dark, and always felt safe.

Last edited:
Back