Cuckoo bee

Great series Nick, stunning insect photographed perfectly.

Super stuff Nick :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: You never disappoint (y) and always upping the bar.:)

Great series Nick, stunning insect photographed perfectly.

Super stuff Nick :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: You never disappoint (y) and always upping the bar.:)

Thanks Alby, Alf, Charles.

I've cleared out the May 2015 backlog. Now working on June 2015. I could post a few (or more!) of what I've recently been working on, but it's so quiet here at the moment I don't know if now is a good time for that. Hopefully it's just a time of year thing, with there not being much around out of doors at the moment, and people off doing other things.

Great find, I love the side on photos best. Do you know what species it is? I am not sure if all bees can be identified from photos to species level.

That 3rd shot is a cracker Nick and a lovely series.
Looks like its having a nap by the last 2 shots.
For ID, I do love FB for the help of the people around the UK/Europe if I cant find the ID.

Nick did you manage to associate this with its hots species?

A possible is nomada lathburiana
It is napping on the last few

Last edited:
That 3rd shot is a cracker Nick and a lovely series.
Looks like its having a nap by the last 2 shots.
For ID, I do love FB for the help of the people around the UK/Europe if I cant find the ID.

Nick did you manage to associate this with its hots species?

A possible is nomada lathburiana
It is napping on the last few

Thanks both. As to species, to be honest I don't even try any more. My brain (or my motivation, or something) simply can't (won't/doesn't want to) handle it. It's interesting when someone tells me what the species is (or family, or whatever), and I can then look it up and find out something about it. But otherwise, for me, it's just (as I'm sure I've said here before) a matter of trying to produce "pretty pictures".

Lovely shots. How many years have you in the backlog ???

Thanks Chris. Interesting question about the backlog - I just had a quick look at it. I have just two years now, 2014 and 2015. Only one month in 2014, June, but that has 19 sessions remaining to deal with, typically with several hundred images in a session, but several have over 1,000.

2015 has the following sessions remaining to deal with: January 13 sessions, February 3, April 20, June 14, July 12, August 16, September 5, December 2. I haven't looked through these to see what sort of sizes they are. Possibly not as large as the 2014 ones. Also, some of these (2014 and 2015) sessions will be "look at and throw away" because they deal with some technical thing or other that is no longer of any interest. Perhaps 1 in 10 or a bit more of the sessions I have been working on recently have been like that.

Lovely to see so much detail in the shots, a proper wee beastie.

Thanks Paul. I think they are very attractive, and photogenic. I do like to get as much detail as I can, even though it means the sharpest areas of the image are not as sharp as they would otherwise be because of diffraction.

Much prefer the side on shots - but all have some impressive detail. I'm glad you're working through your backlog now tbh... gives us all something to look at while we wait for spring!

Much prefer the side on shots - but all have some impressive detail. I'm glad you're working through your backlog now tbh... gives us all something to look at while we wait for spring!

Thanks Fi. It is nice to have something to practice on while there is not much out there to photograph. I think I enjoy post processing as much as capturing the images.

Back