Cuillin Ridge

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
Sgurr na Stri.jpg

Just found out that two of my photos have been shortlisted for the Trail Magazine's UK Mountain Photo of The Year 2014.

The first was taken from the summit of Sgurr na Stri after spending 4 days in the bothy at Camasunary. Each day I'd got up early enough to be on the summit by dawn and this involved fording the river and climbing the rocky slopes in the dark. So a lot of effort but certainly worth it as far as I'm concerned.

The second was taken at the end of a two day traverse of the Cuillin Ridge and hopefully portrays some of beauty of a late evening high in the mountains combined with the pressure of finding a level place to sleep as night rapidly approaches.
Cuillin.jpg
If you are interested in the competition see the link below;

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/L...ain-Photo-of-the-Year-2015-choose-the-winner/

Seems like there are some great entries. Let me know what you think of my entries and the other twenty.

Well done, best luck.

Very well done. I can see why you have been shortlisted. Best of luck

That first one is gorgeous. You are obviously immeasurably fitter than me as I think I would need to be air lifted off :D

Just beautiful both images and best of luck with the comp, I only ever got the one off my tick list Blà Bheinn up there in Skye , well done (y)

Congratulations. Both images are excellent. The second one has some atmosphere about it. I love Skye and must get back there soon.

A couple of very nice shots.

Had a look at the other entries and it seems there is a rough 3 way split between high views, people shots (however small) and camping ones (which may or may not fit in with the Trail ethos?). I commented on your second one when you first posted it, but I think even Colin Prior would have been pleased to get that light on the Cuillin Ridge and that's a high standard to achieve. The Cuillin Ridge would sell as a pano print or card many times over to punters visiting Skye, but the traverse shot seems to epitomise actually being there and being exposed to nature, so I'd be guessing it would be the bigger hit with Trail readers. Good luck anyway!

Thanks once gain for the kind comments. Just heard the photo has been voted Photo of the week on UK Hillwalking.

No. 1 is on my bucket list - wonderful view often described as the most dramatic in Britain. I visited Skye a couple of years ago but didn't do any hillwalking unfortunately. The river crossing put the other half off talking a dayhike over that way, would be interested to hear just how wet you can expect to get doing it for next time, as there will be a next time (-:

A fantastic shot, and amazing effort to get it - I like a bit of adrenaline, but I like organised danger (bungees etc :p ), so climbing in the dark not too high on my life!

Good luck!

Thanks once more. Glad everyone likes them. Dan, you wouldn't catch me bungee jumping. Give me the Cuillin Ridge in the dark every time.

Thank, Andy and everyone who has replied. To say I'm overwhelmed by the positive responses would be an understatement. Sorry I haven't replied more fully to individuals but I've been in Elgol for the last 3 weeks and phone coverage has been non existent and broadband speeds that a snail would be proud of. Will try and get some more photos up ASAP and also reply more fully to the people who have posted in this thread.

Jerry; "The top one is superb. It deserves to have won first prize. it must be a stitch?"

The top one certainly is a stitch using Sony's 16-35mm f4 at 24mm.

Tom; the river crossing varies enormously according to the state of the tide. There are stones piled up and at times i have crossed and it has been little more than a few inches deep. At other times I have removed my boots and waded through water that came over my knees. If the tide is high you can walk further inland and find somewhere to cross depending on the river level. The hard work to get the shot is part of what makes it worthwhile to me. Not just the physical aspects of the river crossing and ascent of Sgurr na Str in the dark but the planning ahead and the need to match the state of the tide and river level with a good sunrise where it is clear enough for the mountains to be lit up but not so clear that the sky lacks interest.

My screen doesn't do the first photo justice and I think I'd need to see it as a wall-sized print to appreciate it. The second photo has everything I love about photography. Hills, mist, atmosphere and, because of the person, it has scale. There's also an element of danger too.

Brilliant work, I hope you win!

It's all been said above an I can only echo that sentiment! Superb work and well deserved congratulations fingers crossed for you.
No better place to be than on top of a mountain at dawn!

Derek, Steve and Greig thanks for the superb compliments. Agree with you, Steve, about there being no better place to be than on a mountain summit at dawn especially if the weather gods are looking down on you.

Excellent shots in both cases. Both really representative of the area.
Love the second shot, It sums up the way I have felt many times, and I can empathise with the guy in shot. I wonder if it is perhaps a little contrasty, but it may be the hosting that accentuates that.
The first is a cracking view, and has inspired me to head that way next time I am up that way!!

Thanks, Matty. Not sure if the contrast is due to the hosting but it was a pretty contrasty situation with the bright sunset and the dark shadows. Sgurr na Stri is well worth a visit with possibly the best view that you can get of the Cuillin Ridge.

I agree BK that Skye is a photographer wonderland, so much variety in a relatively small area.

Lovely shots but they are both a little dark for me. Also the first image could have done with more land at the bottom, but a wonderful view and great light

Lovely shots but they are both a little dark for me. Also the first image could have done with more land at the bottom, but a wonderful view and great light

I know what you mean about the lack of land at the bottom and I did consider that to get more in but ended up with just a huge area of dark, uninteresting rocks on the right. The left looked better with more land but on balance the big mass of boring rock on the right detracted from the image in my view.

As for dark....that just reflects the time of day especially the shot with the climber when we were stumbling along in the dark.

Back