Curbar Gap Car Park to see Red Grouse

Ive never seen any around Curbar Edge. Seen quite a few on Higher tor before if that helps.
Well I was hoping to stop somewhere en route between York and London so if you have a better idea it would be great.

Sorry that should have been Higger Tor (auto correct playing up). It’s about 8-10 miles north of Curbar Edge off Ringinglow Road near Sheffield. I wouldn’t say either are en route between London and York. For Higger Tor you would need to climb up the side of it (sitting in the car probably won’t get you in the right place for photography), I usually see a few Grouse in the Heather around there when I’ve been up there. There is somewhere near Derwent that’s supposed to be good too but I don’t know where it is.

If you are near York (your profile doesn’t say where you are based) the best (and quite well known) place I’ve been to for Grouse is Grinton Moor. You can sit in the car to photograph them there. It’s probably about an hour further north of York so not on route.

Sorry that should have been Higger Tor (auto correct playing up). It’s about 8-10 miles north of Curbar Edge off Ringinglow Road near Sheffield. I wouldn’t say either are en route between London and York. For Higger Tor you would need to climb up the side of it (sitting in the car probably won’t get you in the right place for photography), I usually see a few Grouse in the Heather around there when I’ve been up there. There is somewhere near Derwent that’s supposed to be good too but I don’t know where it is.

If you are near York (your profile doesn’t say where you are based) the best (and quite well known) place I’ve been to for Grouse is Grinton Moor. You can sit in the car to photograph them there. It’s probably about an hour further north of York so not on route.
Firstly thank you so much and you are right it is not en-route but still quicker than a trip there from London.
I live in London but I am already going Seahouses -> York -> London (not in one day).
Grinton Moor sounds great, would evening be a good time?
This is an interesting website about it
http://yorkshirephotoexplorer.co.uk/red-grouse-yorkshire-dales/

Also any ideas about what to do about food? Take a picnic or is there anywhere picturesque and good nearby? Do you think it might be crazy busy in Spring half term?

Firstly thank you so much and you are right it is not en-route but still quicker than a trip there from London.
I live in London but I am already going Seahouses -> York -> London (not in one day).
Grinton Moor sounds great, would evening be a good time?
This is an interesting website about it
http://yorkshirephotoexplorer.co.uk/red-grouse-yorkshire-dales/

Also any ideas about what to do about food? Take a picnic or is there anywhere picturesque and good nearby? Do you think it might be crazy busy in Spring half term?
I’ve not been for a few years (visits in 2012 and 2015) The last time we went for meal at a pub up the road in Grinton. I’ve only been twice, once during the day and the other in the evening. The weather was very poor when I went in the evening so very little activity. I don’t think I’m really the person to advise you as I’ve not been enough.

David, Rob has picked a great spot for you for Red Grouse - Grinton is my favourite place for them. If you go on google maps, search for the Grinton YHA. If you find that, go north about 100 yards, and you'll see a junction to the west with a hard standing where you can fit half a dozen cars at the junction. Turn left there and this is the best spot for Grouse. Stay in your car and slowly drive, looking for grouse in the heather.

They generally get a bit more plentiful nearer the top of the hill where you go over a cattle grid - keep looking to your left for the best light if the sun is out. After the top of the hill, drive for about another mile slowly, and keep an eye on the wall for perched birds. After a mile, turn and repeat.

If you are lucky enough to get a tame bird, then you can get out of your car and try a slow approach.

Also keep an eye out for red legged partridge but they are very skittish.

No idea about food unfortunately!

All the grouse shots on my website were from that particular road - full frame camera with 500mm, sometimes with a 1.4x as a guide

Mike

Back