Cure for the clap.

Utter madness. They must be unemployable, in any real sense.

According to bbc radio Oxford the student union have denied they have banned clapping, but simply taken steps to teach their members the sign language version to be more inclusive...

Well, that is different?

I'm sure something very similar has been reported before but last time I think it was to stop people feeling rejected if they didn't get as much applause as someone else.

File under urban rumour maybe?

But just in case it is true, twits.

PS.
I know one or two hand signals I'd be using if this is true and if I saw who'd brought this rule into being.

Last edited:
How does that work at a Stevie Wonder concert?

My first thought was how will this work for radio broadcast concerts, silence between tunes, the listeners will think the audience are bored rigid.

Am I alone in finding clapping kind of soothing?

What next anyway? ban laughing at comedy gigs so all performers get the same reaction?

Last edited:
Removing the clap.............stops the...... 'going in your ear' ;)

looking at that student in the article . there no chance of her getting the clap . bargepole springs to mind :beer::beer::beer:

What are those with nervous bowel movements supposed to do now? The applause was a perfect time to hide any releases that might risk detection due to noise. This could severely affect the mental wellbeing of those with IBS and other conditions now that their needs have not been taken into consideration with these changes.

What are those with nervous bowel movements supposed to do now? The applause was a perfect time to hide any releases that might risk detection due to noise. This could severely affect the mental wellbeing of those with IBS and other conditions now that their needs have not been taken into consideration with these changes.

use sign language, trouble is we all know silent fa*ts smell more.

It seems they are proposing some kind of hand waving instead. How will these changes affect a slow handclap? My solution to original problem would to ban using both hands to clap, just use one ;).

What a surprise that the usual angry suspects fall for a fake ragebait story.
The brainless and angry are among us!

fall for a fake ragebait story.
Fake?

Oxford is not the first university to favour jazz hands over clapping at SU events. In 2018,
Manchester Uni passed a motion to ban clapping, claiming jazz hands was more inclusive, especially for students who may have anxiety, autism and sensory issues.
Sara Khan, Manchester Students’ Union Liberation and Access Officer last year, told The Mancunian she would “encourage student groups and societies to do the same, and to include BSL clapping as a part of inclusion training”.

In 2015, the NUS adopted the same jazz hands policy at their annual conference.

Last edited:
I do wonder if every forum should have dislike as well as like buttons. You could record your disapproval of a post without descending into aggression. :cautious:

Last edited:
Fake?

Oxford is not the first university to favour jazz hands over clapping at SU events. In 2018,
Manchester Uni passed a motion to ban clapping, claiming jazz hands was more inclusive, especially for students who may have anxiety, autism and sensory issues.
Sara Khan, Manchester Students’ Union Liberation and Access Officer last year, told The Mancunian she would “encourage student groups and societies to do the same, and to include BSL clapping as a part of inclusion training”.

In 2015, the NUS adopted the same jazz hands policy at their annual conference.

Definitely fake.

Neither have banned clapping.

Both have encouraged the use of BSL clapping.

But the snowflakes don't read past the headline and start a rant thread about it instead. Bizarrely claiming those who aren't ranting about it, to be snowflakes.

Definitely fake.

Neither have banned clapping.

Both have encouraged the use of BSL clapping.

But the snowflakes don't read past the headline and start a rant thread about it instead. Bizarrely claiming those who aren't ranting about it, to be snowflakes.
I can only see two people 'ranting' on this thread - you are one, I'll let you guess the other.

And even in the original link in the first post it says "The motion to ‘mandate the encouragement of silent clapping’ was successfully passed by the university’s student union officers, following their first meeting of the year on Tuesday."

But people just get triggered by the fake headline without actually reading it..

Back