Curlew

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Going through the photos I took down in Cornwall recently.

I see a curlew at the beach amongst the seaweed daily when I'm down there, but rarely get close to it as there's no cover. I wanted to get one showing it in the environment and quite like this one standing on seaweed looking out to see. Not the best ever, but I like the way the light was falling on it.

Another, this time just you standard shot. Wish I could have got more separation from the background and would like to remove that stone in the bottom right, but you can't win 'em all

Also prefer the 2nd Chris, 1st is very diluted due to strong light :)

Hi Chris

light seems a little flat - agree about the stone, they are lovely birds and I feel that you can bring a little more out of them in pp ...... not sure which I prefer as I am in two minds about the crop of image #2 .. but it is sharpe, looks well exposed, the drip in the water is good as are the colours in the bill ..... I just feel it needs a bit of a "lift" and more space

presumably big crops as there is bg noise in 2), plus I usually find the D500 sensor a bit "gritty"

but crops are a personal thing and agreement can be difficult

Hi Chris

light seems a little flat - agree about the stone, they are lovely birds and I feel that you can bring a little more out of them in pp ...... not sure which I prefer as I am in two minds about the crop of image #2 .. but it is sharpe, looks well exposed, the drip in the water is good as are the colours in the bill ..... I just feel it needs a bit of a "lift" and more space

presumably big crops as there is bg noise in 2), plus I usually find the D500 sensor a bit "gritty"

but crops are a personal thing and agreement can be difficult

Thanks as always. The light was flat you're right. Unfortunately i was working down there so I only had what light was available on my lunch break from 1-2 daily.

Actually not large crops but I didn't do any NR on them (again it was late at night and just forgot!). I will re-look at them but will be next week now as I'm busy this weekend. Crop, fair enough as you say we all have different opinions but Im curious what you mean about a lift. I often see it mentioned here, this micro contrast etc. Maybe I'm missing something or just not paying enough attention or even my eyes arent attuned to what I'm looking for, but I don't really know how to achieve what you mean. Playing with the black and white points in ACR, this was what I thought worked best, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Also prefer the 2nd Chris, 1st is very diluted due to strong light :)

Agreed but I really like the pose and the fact I finally got a decent one in the habitat I always see them. There's no cover, it's just rock pools all the way to the waters edge so im happy with it even though technically it's far from perfect.

Crop, fair enough as you say we all have different opinions but Im curious what you mean about a lift.

Just my view Chris - on giving the image a "bit of a lift"

minor tweeks :)

maybe .. maybe not

Chris_C.jpg

Chris_C_2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I can see what you mean. Yours definitely looks brighter, which I think looks better, but I prefer the colours of the feathers on mine. Either way, thanks for the edit!

Ok I can see what you mean. Yours definitely looks brighter, which I think looks better, but I prefer the colours of the feathers on mine. Either way, thanks for the edit!

Chris I think the main consideration in your image was to treat the various parts of the image separately whilst keeping them in balance so that the flatness was less so .... but keeping in mind the conditions on the day

The second shot is the stronger Chris - the rock is unfortunate but there is too much detail in the water to remove it.

Somewhere in between your version and Bills would seem about right to me, I'd do it by raising the curves slightly, then using a mask to target the specific parts needing attention. Bills RP is also sharpened which will add to the contrast, and IMHO the extra sharpening wasn't needed

Mike

The second shot is the stronger Chris - the rock is unfortunate but there is too much detail in the water to remove it.

Somewhere in between your version and Bills would seem about right to me, I'd do it by raising the curves slightly, then using a mask to target the specific parts needing attention. Bills RP is also sharpened which will add to the contrast, and IMHO the extra sharpening wasn't needed

Mike

I did not sharpen at all Mike - reduced noise in bg, lightened bg and adjusted shadows, white and tone curve - 2 mins in LR

(just checked "sharpened standard" for screen when exported from LR which I use as a default pre set for my images)

Last edited:
Doesn't help working on the low(ish) res jpeg either so I never expected bills edit to be perfect :)

Back