CWP Lion cubs and more.

Cobra

Gregory House
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Anyone thinking of going, be aware of the glass, god knows what it is, but even on a dull drizzly day, there are reflections / back reflections and a misty hue, in certain area's.
I've never seen the like before, that's for sure!

The Cubs.

Don't you dare smack your sibling!

129A0750
by Chris, on Flickr

What did I just say?

129A0749
by Chris, on Flickr

Butter wouldn't melt!

129A0767a
by Chris, on Flickr

To cute for words

129A0776
by Chris, on Flickr

I called into the restaurant for a sandwich, this is not quite the sandwich I had in mind though.

129A0740
by Chris, on Flickr

A little privacy if you don't mind!

129A0747
by Chris, on Flickr

Exactly!

129A0742
by Chris, on Flickr

Doing a sundance kid impression
(Rain drops are falling on my head)

129A0842
by Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone thinking of going, be aware of the glass, god knows what it is
Yup, it has put me off trying to see them; not just the reflections, but the darkening effect on their eyes too. Still a cute set though.

Yup, it has put me off trying to see them; not just the reflections, but the darkening effect on their eyes too. Still a cute set though.
The strange thing is, it looks as though "you have beaten the glass" on the preview screen.
Its gotta be tinted or coated on the inside :(

I think there is a definite dark green tint to the glass. It probably can be beaten in PP, but just needs a bit more effort.

I think there is a definite dark green tint to the glass
That's what I was saying about "back reflections"
I'm sure there is more to it than that, I never have that trouble at whipsnade, even when the sun is on the glass, this was a dull dreary day.

Last edited:
Yup - glass is a nightmare isn't it!! Still some lovely moments captured though :)

Yup - glass is a nightmare isn't it!! Still some lovely moments captured though :)
That one is certainly!
I never have that trouble at Whipsnade :(

Thanks for dropping by Fi :)

That one is certainly!
I never have that trouble at Whipsnade :(

Thanks for dropping by Fi :)

Just realised you'd added some more with your different processing technique - they look much better, what did you do?! Was at Marwell today and have had glass issues again with the tiger cubs. So annoying!

they look much better,
Thanks, Fi, still not right imo though :(
I suppose its what you get used to, though, as above Whipsnade is so easy to get through, you don't even know its there most of the time (y)

what did you do?
Mostly it was selective colour in CS5, toned down the greens, yellows and blacks, and then used match colour ( luminosity) to brighten them up again.
And a little levels tweak, thrown in for good measure.
Was at Marwell today and have had glass issues again with the tiger cubs. So annoying!
Annoying indeed :(

I must admit that it was the first time I've used hi iso in anger, on the "new" 7Dii
you know how dark the Wolves are ...
That kinda made up for the lion cubs ...

129A0822
by Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you for the PP tips - I am goingt to have a go at them tomorrow so will keep it in mind. Great wolf shot - very impressive given the conditions! I'm immediately thinking what you could achieve with the wolverines too...

I do sometimes wonder if zoos are trying to make it harder, not a big fan of Marwell, remember the problems trying to get pictures of the snow leopard cubs,
that said I'm not keen on the CWP either.
You did well with the wolf Chris,I do remember how dark the enclosure is, if it's the same as last time I was there

Thank you for the PP tips
No worries, Fi, I hope it helps :)

Great wolf shot - very impressive given the conditions
No Wolverines on show this time though.

I'm not keen on the CWP either.
Its not somewhere I go very often, but after Fi posted the cubs, well, it had to be done :D

You did well with the wolf Chris,
Thanks Ingrid, and no change on the enclosure, its still "miserable"

I'm convinced of it where 'Photography Days' are offered

That's the good thing about the BWC, only the wire to fight with and we are threatening to take some black paint in to cure the problem ;)

I've bought a couple of rubber lens hoods, to see if that works when I get chance

Last edited:
I do sometimes wonder if zoos are trying to make it harder, not a big fan of Marwell, remember the problems trying to get pictures of the snow leopard cubs,
that said I'm not keen on the CWP either.
You did well with the wolf Chris,I do remember how dark the enclosure is, if it's the same as last time I was there

I agree re the snowies at Marwell.
I'm really not a fan of that enclosure at all.

I actually arrived at the snow leapard enclosure this afternoon at the same time as the photography day group - which was handy as the keeper / guide person was getting the male cats attention. It is a nightmare of reflections though.

It is a nightmare of reflections though.
Have you shot the ones at Twycross? ( in the restaurant) if they are in an obliging mood, its quite easy there.
Unfortunately, they tend to hide hi up in the corners though :(

Have you shot the ones at Twycross? ( in the restaurant) if they are in an obliging mood, its quite easy there.

We have never ever seen the snow leapards at Twycross... not even once.

We have never ever seen the snow leapards at Twycross... not even once.
They hide right tight up in the corner, on top of the stone work, against the wire.
The best I did was a few years ago, when they had cubs, they were all out playing.

A couple from 2013 just a quick dirty edit

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

But this is more usual

IMG_3066.jpg

Yeah but you can sit waiting in the cafe all day waiting without paying admission to the zoo. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah but you can sit waiting in the cafe all day waiting without paying admission to the zoo. ;)
This is very true, all for the price of a coffee :)
EXCEPT of course when the kids "are off" and WW IV is breaking out in the play area,
Its enough to drive you to drink pay admission to get away from the little sods.
Do you think that was deliberate? :D

This is very true, all for the price of a coffee :)
EXCEPT of course when the kids "are off" and WW IV is breaking out in the play area,
Its enough to drive you to drink pay admission to get away from the little sods.
Do you think that was deliberate? :D
You could always escape into the free nature reserve they opened last (?) year. Maybe a bit too quite in there though.

You could always escape into the free nature reserve they opened last (?) year. Maybe a bit too quite in there though.
I was up there a year ago, and never noticed that, its probably full o'kids by now anyway :D

Back