Cycling

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
The Tour de France hasn't had a mention yet so here's a brief snapshot of stages 11 and 12.......from your correspondant in a roadside ditch.

p3979642975.jpg

p3978644977-5.jpg

p3979660842.jpg

p3982323472.jpg

Great it must be wonderful to be there .Now you might be able to answer me a question.
On a lot of the bikes I cannot see any brake and gear cables are they hidden in the bars and frame or are they being controlled electronically

On a lot of the bikes I cannot see any brake and gear cables are they hidden in the bars and frame or are they being controlled electronically
Click on #1 and go large, you'll see the cables. :)

.from your correspondant in a roadside ditch.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good to clearly see that you're alive and well Bob.......fit enough to be scrambling into ditches lol

Nice set, I saw them over this side when they were on the outskirts of Nice but they had whizzed past by the time I got my accordion ( LF kit) set up :ROFLMAO:

Nice set Bob

Click on #1 and go large, you'll see the cables. :)

Or hydraulic lines as many are using disc brakes

Would you trust your life to a battery operated brake system
Internal cable routing (inside handle bars and frames) is used where possible to reduce drag and improve looks

Great it must be wonderful to be there .Now you might be able to answer me a question.

Why do they need brakes? :LOL:

The two stages passed close to where I live so it was a good chance to savour a little bit of culture. Alas I know nothing about bikes so I'm going to have to rely on others to answer that one.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Good to clearly see that you're alive and well Bob.......fit enough to be scrambling into ditches lol

Nice set, I saw them over this side when they were on the outskirts of Nice but they had whizzed past by the time I got my accordion ( LF kit) set up :ROFLMAO:
You can't beat a good ditch, Asha. I did use my Pentax 645Z for the caravan shots but I'm not adept enough with it for the more instantaneous action.
Here's a small gallery which includes the caravan showing the internal combustion powered strawberries and alike.....

https://www.boblatham-photography.net/tdf-2020

Last edited:
Or hydraulic lines as many are using disc brakes
Maybe, though disc brakes come in hydraulic or cable (mechanical) versions and possibly the majority of pro riders prefer 'standard' V brakes to disc. :)

Loving the dynamic POV and energy in the images.
I tried this on our local Cycle race in 2018 with poor results.
Very hard to get uncluttered clean backgrounds.

Maybe, though disc brakes come in hydraulic or cable (mechanical) versions and possibly the majority of pro riders prefer 'standard' V brakes to disc. :)
Pro cyclist will not be using cable discs and they don't use V brakes but use caliper brakes

There is at least one team using V brakes, it was discussed on the ITV4 coverage. The opinion was they are as good as caliper brakes and make wheel changes quicker

Apologies I meant calliper, most teams are using discs. The Jumbo Visma rider on the far right of pic 2 is using calliper brakes

Cracking shot of GVA :)
Thanks Ben. I have to confess that I'd no idea who it was until my cyclo-enthusiastic nephew told me......I then had to look him up on the web to see if he'd won anything! It's simply a day out with some photographic subject matter as a bonus.

Loving the dynamic POV and energy in the images.
I tried this on our local Cycle race in 2018 with poor results.
Very hard to get uncluttered clean backgrounds.
Thanks Paul. My attempts at local races have also been disappointing. Club cyclists seem to ride a peleton with far more distance between the riders and this detracts from the drama (IMO)
This shot is from a regional race (in France) that attracts the second string riders from some of the big teams....tightly bunched and disciplined adding to the overall effect.
(from a different ditch)
p3034132623.jpg

These are absolutely fantastic Bob.:clap::)

@Canon Bob did you know Olympic champion Greg van Avermaet gets a gold bike
At the time of the photo...no. My nephew gave me the name and brief details and I read up a little about him....it was pure fluke that I picked him out of the bunch.

At the time of the photo...no. My nephew gave me the name and brief details and I read up a little about him....it was pure fluke that I picked him out of the bunch.

well personally i think you have an epic picture there mate, an absolute gem, i am a tour addict.

well personally i think you have an epic picture there mate, an absolute gem, i am a tour addict.
Thanks Paul. My impression was that the event was a little flat this year and that was down to the absence of the "tour addicts". Attendance was limited as it was no longer in the holiday period and a much larger proportion of the spectators were the more sedate over-60's. On the two days that I visited, the overall ambiance was muted although my "winnings" from the caravan exceeded those of the previous 8 or 9 visits combined.

Back