Cyclocross

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, was at a cyclocross race on Sunday, I have just got my hands on 70-200 VR and wanted to put the VR through its paces. The shots vary from 1/60 to 1/125, riders were probably doing 20mph down this section.

btw I re posted these, these are straight from the camera with no USM, just cropped down. A tad soft but more practice with the VR at this speed and should have it down pat, lowest I usually shoot is 1/200.

It was an interesting exercise but I need to play about with it more to get used. I thought my panning was pretty good but going so low it really pushes you to be spot on and will show up any flaws in your panning but very impressed with the VR, think I am going to like this lens.
Would I shoot this low on a job, maybe not until I got a few in the bag at 1/200 then you could play about, your hit rate really does drop significantly.

Theres a full slide show if you are interested with more from the race with a bit of poetic licensing in their processing..
http://www.imacimages.co.uk/view/2007/mugdock_slide/index.html
1/60
_SCU6496.jpg

1/60
_SCU6498.jpg

1/100
_SCU6506.jpg

1/125
_SCU6484.jpg

All good captures straight out of the camera Ian, but the last shot at 1/125 looks best for me. Rider nice and sharp with just enough blur for effect with good panning.
The shots at 1/60 really give the effect of the speed, cant wait to see more of these shots.

The facial expressions that you have captured so well (y) have brought back the cold, wet, muddy, painfull memories. Yep, Im sticking with the black stuff ;)

Good luck with your new VR.

Forgot to add that your link is not working.

Whoops...sorted (y) Yeah , I was a roadie....this grass & mud stuff is not for me!!

Yeah think your right about the 1/125, I think though if you nail it 1/60 could be really amazing....but its nailing it regularly.

Iain

Great slideshow Ian with some intresting angles on the riders.

On pic no4 of the slideshow you are shooting downwards on him with the sun behind you and no shadow. Were you up a tree? Or do you carry a pair of steps with you? :D

Byrhtnoth, I had the camera on a monopod up high and triggered it by remote.....I actually carry a small pair of ladders in the car as well ....honest

Iain

some excellent shots Ian and good slide show

I thought I'd replied to this already :thinking:

I like them a lot for showing the speed and action. The thing which really spoils a couple for me though is the OOF grasses in the foreground, get rid of that and they were winners instead of just being really good :)

Back