weekly d00d's 52 in 2017 ~ 51 Festive & 52 Weather

David. i like the two in front, but i'd rather have more on top.. something to stretch the eyes upwards. else its perfect.

I like that the only real colour in the shot is in the main bottle, don't think you did but did you desaturate the rest of the image? I also agree with others that say they like the bottles at the front.

It works for me, there are a few comment about the symmetry but can't say it bothers me

David. i like the two in front, but i'd rather have more on top.. something to stretch the eyes upwards. else its perfect.
... more on top, interesting input, thanks (y)
I like that the only real colour in the shot is in the main bottle, don't think you did but did you desaturate the rest of the image? I also agree with others that say they like the bottles at the front.
Thanks Steve ... I don't do PS but Paint.Net and I discovered a year or two ago that you can brighten up an image in a minute by ...
Copy&pasting ... layer on layer
Desaturate the bottom layer
Sharpen up, boost curves, levels whatever the top layer
Run a soft edged eraser over selected colourful bits on the top layer ... [in this case the orange RHS and blue LHS]
Merge layers

These changes are so subtle they are invisible to most, but I think give a quick easy boost and a nice end result.

People are attractive and here are some from Borough Market today ...

Contrasting types and styles.

xnKNo7SzJnN-0RdGINijuciabh74HQYIUOJcu2xo6c60xM_xnrqB1_CTAbrNQOzEa1gOYC8IgVt4WjRKkYz9-x9BKDplVCkc11NMtDnaIIVr6cYcZBW6rGCO9H3NSy3XMvD6wiVEbS-_A9U30fi9xMOu3AQh0-MtgjDBHR3AwbKt1c3ke6874WAXsb1b8c1-4u3tofs6xDr9hyddH2efArPxTXun1-mSoxbYE5ko-l8cymYEIunb6QNOdPOrgwtygz2DHOp9Y5VkXqLt0g71PRUOOM4sQFENmG2ftje9QtU97sUKZ_ISuVXOqR-cOcG6zJl9pITJ383-4WaqVa4VyTqJvJHz_dbQYCR8EXbcnRPFayLzNaIpOZ4vjT0xSOykqIH90ITiPBHrUqGtlbIdac3ruJUGfvAFhMHTq3Do5NE1e4PPdeHXYebhkg6j1hO_r82ZTA3m52icQJsZf2g5aXb7yQo4z1Qyl3hUGqHgWgitHn8mVq_3CUHzAEjzPgitOD9fSRdBrqjxo1FVhhjDcIc1knBbStpTa1q-HcT58AsMIy44-Cp3FF2LDgWrg1t9zOAwfr_JEiml_QXHdE2lxbAJkJORqTupwq73hR6Q8P6wi-NqaGt7VKf6AaWSOaAjel_px_b_g-vmYzyTCsN0UnicTSsNUKJdD8rbEkjNlA=w1920-h911-no

Last edited:
I find the lady on the left a bit tightly cropped, but otherwise I like the 1-2-1 triptych the composition of the individual elements and the B&W processing.

Im with Brrnd, I think the middle pic is the best of the three and stands better alone. I like the 1-2-1 thing, but the three above dont balance well together if that makes sense ?

I'm with Brnnd and Mark. The centre image is enough you greedy boy. Wandering around taking pictures of strange attractive young women at your age :p

I like the set but for me the one on the right is my favourite shot, unfortunately I could not explain why, I just like it.

Attractive, like the shot David and how you have put the three together, my pick is the young lady in the middle with the smiling/laughing face :)
Routine, nice long exposure of the bus.
Numbers, nice composition and lighting nice focus on the No5.
Attractive, three nice portraits.
I find the lady on the left a bit tightly cropped, but otherwise I like the 1-2-1 triptych the composition of the individual elements and the B&W processing.
Im with Brrnd, I think the middle pic is the best of the three and stands better alone. I like the 1-2-1 thing, but the three above dont balance well together if that makes sense ?
I'm with Brnnd and Mark. The centre image is enough you greedy boy. Wandering around taking pictures of strange attractive young women at your age :p
I like the set but for me the one on the right is my favourite shot, unfortunately I could not explain why, I just like it.
Thanks all(y) ... I do enjoy a bit of street, this was a bit rushed, Borough Market is a good place for it but time was a bit limited. This is the first time I've done a triptych [was pleased with the way I fitted it together]. The 1-2-1 is how they were done hundreds of years ago and I've always thought it the best way. And I don't remember doing a B&W before in all my years of 52ing. For the first time I thought it appropriate.

"Contrasting types and styles" ... this is kind of what I was after rather than posting a single pic of my "type". Another way of doing this may have been: half a dozen different ladies, all square crop, in one of those jumbled overlapping collages.

As I said to someone else can't deny they are attractive but its the furtive nature of how they are obtained that i am not sure about, its not street photography for me that has to say something to be worthy, just not my thing sorry d00d

I disagree with Allan, David, Street is simply Candid photography in public places, it doesn't have to be telling a particular story.
What you've captured here is people enjoying themselves in the tourist trap that is boro market and I this does look like the people you see there.

It's a good set, the first is perhaps a bit busy but as you say they capture well a range of styles and moods.

As I said to someone else can't deny they are attractive but its the furtive nature of how they are obtained that i am not sure about, its not street photography for me that has to say something to be worthy, just not my thing sorry d00d
No surprises Allan, I know street is not everyone's thing, and you've mentioned it before.
I disagree with Allan, David, Street is simply Candid photography in public places, it doesn't have to be telling a particular story.
What you've captured here is people enjoying themselves in the tourist trap that is boro market and I this does look like the people you see there.
Thanks Tim, yep and I'm not damaging anyone's reputation, that's what I care about. Maybe none of it tells a particular story but I hope it tells something more than a photo of someone looking into the camera ... a quite different art-form.
It's a good set, the first is perhaps a bit busy but as you say they capture well a range of styles and moods.
Thanks Chris, yes a range of styles and moods ... but all good, I hope!

Last edited:
Attractive - a nice collection of pictures, I like the centre one best and the way you have laid them out. I think your brave to do street shots I always feel very self concious, I certainly wouldn't do individuals as you have as I would worry about how they felt about it and you can't ask first as then you would lose the candid nature of the shot. as @Allan.H said it is the furtive nature I am not sure about.

I am really behind on comments and have had a look back over your photos I missed I really like your routine shot with the blurry bus.

Attractive - a nice collection of pictures, I like the centre one best and the way you have laid them out. I think your brave to do street shots I always feel very self concious, I certainly wouldn't do individuals as you have as I would worry about how they felt about it and you can't ask first as then you would lose the candid nature of the shot. as @Allan.H said it is the furtive nature I am not sure about.

I am really behind on comments and have had a look back over your photos I missed I really like your routine shot with the blurry bus.
Thanks Minxs … so true about the not-so-candid losing the candid nature. ;)

I am a bit concerned about the "furtive"word, I know you didn’t start it, but my dictionary says "sneaky". I’m just visiting places – Boro Market on a Saturday lunchtime – packed with people wondering around the numerous foodstalls, free samples, tourists and cameras snapping atmosphere, openly taking shots and if on the rare occasion somebody shows any sign of objection I approach them and ask if they’d prefer I deleted …

Thanks for liking the blurry bus.

Last edited:
I know the problem with this …

If the theme was, say, "security" and I took shots of armed police in Downing Street then that would have been good. Or "smoke" with images of Lloyds Brokers having a meaningful puff in Cornhill. But "attractive"! The tables are turned to voyeuristic.

Perhaps I should have stuck with my original idea ... a supermarket BOGOF sign, or something along those lines.

I don't see a problem with this as long as you're happy to delete if someone objects. It must take a certain confidence and openness to get the shots without upsetting people - I really admire that. The middle image is lovely - a warm and infectious smile. Beautiful!

I know the problem with this …

If the theme was, say, "security" and I took shots of armed police in Downing Street then that would have been good. Or "smoke" with images of Lloyds Brokers having a meaningful puff in Cornhill. But "attractive"! The tables are turned to voyeuristic.

Perhaps I should have stuck with my original idea ... a supermarket BOGOF sign, or something along those lines.

I like them a lot David, good street photography I think, I am just getting used to doing this sort of shot more when I get to town. If someone says what am I doing, I just say that I liked the way they were looking and smile at them. If it is a woman and she spots me then I say Sorry I took your photo, but I thought you are attractive :)

I don't see a problem with this as long as you're happy to delete if someone objects. It must take a certain confidence and openness to get the shots without upsetting people - I really admire that. The middle image is lovely - a warm and infectious smile. Beautiful!
Thanks .... Oh I'm more than happy to show people and delete if they're anything short of happy. The centre pic ... a girl one of a group who was having her photo taken by a friend, she smiled then for some reason burst out laughing. She's saying more than cheese. :D
I like them a lot David, good street photography I think, I am just getting used to doing this sort of shot more when I get to town. If someone says what am I doing, I just say that I liked the way they were looking and smile at them. If it is a woman and she spots me then I say Sorry I took your photo, but I thought you are attractive :)
Thanks again Dave. It takes maybe a year or two of practice, and that's about how long I've been doing it. Whether I'm asking in advance (as I did last week in the Chanel shop) or after taking the shot I now use the same line: "it's just for a fun competition, no prizes unfortunately" smile and they smile back, then maybe say "the theme is Attractive and I though you'll do!" :D

I advise you to stick to happy places where there are happy people, tourist traps, and those taking pics of one another is a bonus. Avoid sad people generally, even if they look photogenic, but if they too have a camera around their neck, you've bonded! Avoid rough areas, the unemployed, the benefit cheat might be on an errand. Avoid children, and be careful of rough sleepers, they can have mates nearby, some with mental health problems. I've even seen a poor togger getting shouted at by a do-gooder type who didn't approve of people photographing the homeless. Have a couple of pound coins ready for buskers/street performers. Oh and one more thing, the art college student type in retro clothing like having their picture taken.

Thanks again Dave. It takes maybe a year or two of practice, and that's about how long I've been doing it. Whether I'm asking in advance (as I did last week in the Chanel shop) or after taking the shot I now use the same line: "it's just for a fun competition, no prizes unfortunately" smile and they smile back, then maybe say "the theme is Attractive and I though you'll do!" :D

I advise you to stick to happy places where there are happy people, tourist traps, and those taking pics of one another is a bonus. Avoid sad people generally, even if they look photogenic, but if they too have a camera around their neck, you've bonded! Avoid rough areas, the unemployed, the benefit cheat might be on an errand. Avoid children, and be careful of rough sleepers, they can have mates nearby, some with mental health problems. I've even seen a poor togger getting shouted at by a do-gooder type who didn't approve of people photographing the homeless. Have a couple of pound coins ready for buskers/street performers. Oh and one more thing, the art college student type in retro clothing like having their picture taken.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the great advice David, I always try and stay in a good area of Brighton, sometimes I have asked before I take the shot but other times I might not ask if I see a story to the actual shot.

Nicely laid out candid photos David, I like the attention to detail of the ladies either side looking inwards (y)

I advise you to stick to happy places where there are happy people, tourist traps, and those taking pics of one another is a bonus. Avoid sad people generally, even if they look photogenic, but if they too have a camera around their neck, you've bonded! Avoid rough areas, the unemployed, the benefit cheat might be on an errand. Avoid children, and be careful of rough sleepers, they can have mates nearby, some with mental health problems. I've even seen a poor togger getting shouted at by a do-gooder type who didn't approve of people photographing the homeless. Have a couple of pound coins ready for buskers/street performers. Oh and one more thing, the art college student type in retro clothing like having their picture taken.

Thanks very much for the great advice David, I always try and stay in a good area of Brighton, sometimes I have asked before I take the shot but other times I might not ask if I see a story to the actual shot.[/QUOTE]
Great street shots, and they work well in mono. Just a shame that they all seem to have their eyes closed or nearly closed. Nice trio though.
Thanks all (y)

The Dark theme came out the bag three years ago and I had the genius idea of a dark chocolate shot, went down well, been there done that, now waiting for my classmates to catch up. :D

Been to my fave cemetery this morning, brushing up on my bracketing. My pic is an overexposed FG merged with an underexposed BG, no flash ... hope it works.

Week 11 Dark

_35y65mu2lVJ_OzpF6ojshYzUkvy6IBA32O6nstDj-cLkqKeAstNI8RgFaUsOQzY-LPzPr69lhHa49dabqG_c8goUSYBiyH5lCtL-xHh0nJDH0_PTfUSsw4GL5OqrGYYP4Fz-B9jiuvYsILJ-aGV2hRE8mU7s-fFXWeVhwBwKW5P95dIxrtdXFfKtwYDZ2bcS668BFg0PKYkz-lGrClzd1mpwn32r0T-ft2hwsBTDobQTe-uKZqNHszKX583wWAZwOwA8CFwbJyZwSYZnpZ7u4tWtjG8wZCgKgCgRcpTVSMpVAwOQjQJZ4PzCCS6D1nGzsmAdnXRRKhcKP9P6gT_tP4TiaQkeseU-cQD1GdeVfxTh7CJx0c2rAfEPkgHDBqaJ3QIsYw-jDQInKwEfmtfmKgiPRRmvavUJd8zed16eOzGatMRZkjV_SIjpteMA7k6HAqQWarLiC-96psvjic1HObPprk4N5-xPD7e9WBECeB1CoSJ1vvFmJ4R__KW6ZsaDrygX85dh0PgStd-rAVBBbGGIEfT29uvKB1C4-hs72taLxt0tCIukCI31rldNRe0sXNxuKPHnm04Uuql7sCWj5NEm8gBlkzpA3prvzdedsTmMdvzFq2O-1M9oa060ut2qyi_6aldJDCUD9DuFDxbCR4zetvCDIe_FGmi9TFHJQ=w1383-h917-no

Depends on the effect you wanted to achieve... it looks like you have used flash in the foreground. I quite like that. If I only look at the middle bit, the columns are a bit too dark against the sky in my opinion.

That green algae gives the fg a neglected, depressed look.The area just out side the ?door comes over a bit underexposed compared to the fg though.

Depends on the effect you wanted to achieve... it looks like you have used flash in the foreground. I quite like that. If I only look at the middle bit, the columns are a bit too dark against the sky in my opinion.
That green algae gives the fg a neglected, depressed look.The area just out side the ?door comes over a bit underexposed compared to the fg though.
Thanks chaps ...it was a bit experimental, and the theme is Dark .... moody .... eerie.

Looks cold, dark and a bit eerie to me, like the foreground detail giving a sense of decay.

Its always good to get a glimpse of what the rest of us will be doing in 3 years, pushing the boundaries David as always :cool:

Hmmm, I might have gone for a different POV, photographing more down the columns.

On theme, though, and a little spooky.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy ... just a little spooky but could do with a little more spookiness me thinks.

Looks cold, dark and a bit eerie to me, like the foreground detail giving a sense of decay.
Thank Roger (y)

Its always good to get a glimpse of what the rest of us will be doing in 3 years, pushing the boundaries David as always :cool:
... as always :D

Certainly has a dark and eerie feel to it, like Andy I think a slightly different viewpoint might have given a stronger image, it feels dominated by the large plain wall on the RHS to me. Although I suppose moving to the left would take away the view between the pillars and the information that it's a cemetry, tough choice but well done for doing something different for the theme.

Back