weekly d00d's 52 in 2017 ~ 51 Festive & 52 Weather

There's one or two cryptic entries this week, here's mine ...

Week 28 Graceful
P2tsYhoS9Ik_b0TP8zmLpZsjhAB82HP6y2SC861C-nYI_jsmxAjU0MeJQP1ywA97J5yGzAqsNCPIASZnhD5BuHXbbXp3ItcH252tRZgMSrfZFiqNUaNnnKs5h2n1MY7_3CRGtBjOgpRX0WG7xxfZ_IbH5hsit0VWTCH-5zhx4Y0QxlUmVxUx-2hKVJqPgWblD8jM1KI98i7b5Vkb6KcLOM3UfkGRIZNAwlmpHk59Lz6d7eOegtnW_LpfTVUWZCQI7u87pookKbXP2De0hJZsVJA7HAweuTkMpX8JZN1561tFa2YnIS5fGYwNH4VCUBtUNJTpY_dLj-uu7P-_EQG_E_j0RhqkbEyAf5F9gxdf_T6XoYbL_YxXmL_gfCSRMUQhOwb7THMZBp4C-5P89aKcthhtWdANIf_LvoPhUN7RH4zMdZsXvJoVSclVT_bokspxCv3kKNb2cFhot-O6qPYx5HK99zkdPrkn9w1hVgS_hbBmlmLOLDaCOMVfKvO-0xU-oW0B3h8yBIUuNQCPFB3vXlHaws0jC7Tu8rfhcfi20bwhtVQpmM1DvPHoDGEwE75pitNnbMGxqwxYvP8txHI3q8RK_PfOjdg5bq2uqFQX-_BIsjdEMuQr5KJTRNWfIJlpXvGCAeUZ4YA_YTEkKqiFMKvPh1P7_c4EGEbiUxJSvrRWDw=w1467-h887-no

Last edited:
DS Roy Grace apparently is a character in his books, I do like a bit of cryptic thinking

It has a good busy desk feel to it which seems nicely in keeping with the crime novel concept somehow but the bookmark sticking out of the bottom of the book is really messing with my OCD somewhat distracting:)

Graceful, like the lay out of the shot and she might have a graceful touch of death :)
I had to Google that to get it! Very clever and a nice composition.
DS Roy Grace apparently is a character in his books, I do like a bit of cryptic thinking
I wasn't ever going to get that reference, so thanks Allan :)
Liking the cropped in composition David and the array of different colours.
It has a good busy desk feel to it which seems nicely in keeping with the crime novel concept somehow but the bookmark sticking out of the bottom of the book is really messing with my OCD somewhat distracting:)
Thanks chaps, too busy for a proper Graceful shot, but I'm pleased you like cryptic and googling the answer. :D(y)

Ok so I'll admit, I didn't get it. But as long as there's a link to graceful it works. It's well composed and well thought out.

I like it. Nice bright colours, they're definitely fruit, very good dof (you can still make out the figure holding the fruit, which I like) and a good view point.

Great DOF presented really well whats not to like
:)
Good dof in the fruit shot, like it.
Hey David :)

I think the models top is a tad bright, but still a nice handful of fruit there, good depth of field and the 3 of the fruits filling the view, nice for the theme :)
shocking pink:eek: :)
Like the unusual viewpoint and the dof. Almost a 3D photo.
I like it. Nice bright colours, they're definitely fruit, very good dof (you can still make out the figure holding the fruit, which I like) and a good view point.

Thanks all (y)

Oh my...I've missed so many shots! I would never have got your graceful reference - but it's a well set up shot, especially with so many elements. I like the bright colours of your 'face' a lot and agree with the comments about framing and giving the wider street view. Great shot for fruit - I don't mind the colour of the top, it just adds to that bright summery feel. My favourite is your smoke reshoot though - perfect dof and focussing to capture the smoke so brilliantly, but retaining the details in the chef - great stuff :clap:

Oh my...I've missed so many shots! I would never have got your graceful reference - but it's a well set up shot, especially with so many elements. I like the bright colours of your 'face' a lot and agree with the comments about framing and giving the wider street view. Great shot for fruit - I don't mind the colour of the top, it just adds to that bright summery feel. My favourite is your smoke reshoot though - perfect dof and focussing to capture the smoke so brilliantly, but retaining the details in the chef - great stuff :clap:

Thanks Emma(y) .... and I'm so pleased you like Smoke reshoot! I was pleased when I saw this guy on Westfield London Southern Terrace, he was offering free tasters and agreed I could take a picture. It got smokey at exactly the right moment.

Last edited:
Hi David, a catch-up from me on the ones I've missed since my last visit.

I do like your Smoke re-shoot; great light and enough DOF to show the burly chef in the background and set the scene but not detract from the initial impact of the white smoke.
The peg in Tiny is another good use of DOF, and important to have the two large pegs front and rear to show how small the main subject is in comparison. The dark background helps to draw the eye straight to the peg, too.
Face - that's an unusual one, bright and eye-catching, and well-framed by the street details around it.
Good choice of subject for Grace, and fitting that a detective's name is the cryptic clue to solving the link :) The desk setting and glasses all complement the crime novel theme. Good books, too!
Fruit shows more good use of shallow DOF (a theme is developing here!) to bring the subject straight to your attention, but also enough in focus elsewhere to set the scene. I like the way the bold colours of the short complements the bold orange tones.
Agriculture - that's a rare one! Wish I had one, too :) The hint of a dark background again helps to isolate the subject.

Hi David, a catch-up from me on the ones I've missed since my last visit.

I do like your Smoke re-shoot; great light and enough DOF to show the burly chef in the background and set the scene but not detract from the initial impact of the white smoke.
The peg in Tiny is another good use of DOF, and important to have the two large pegs front and rear to show how small the main subject is in comparison. The dark background helps to draw the eye straight to the peg, too.
Face - that's an unusual one, bright and eye-catching, and well-framed by the street details around it.
Good choice of subject for Grace, and fitting that a detective's name is the cryptic clue to solving the link :) The desk setting and glasses all complement the crime novel theme. Good books, too!
Fruit shows more good use of shallow DOF (a theme is developing here!) to bring the subject straight to your attention, but also enough in focus elsewhere to set the scene. I like the way the bold colours of the short complements the bold orange tones.
Agriculture - that's a rare one! Wish I had one, too :) The hint of a dark background again helps to isolate the subject.
Thanks so much for all your detailed comments Andrea. (y) Good books, too! you don't read that rubbish, surely. ;)
Love it David, nice lighting and quirky plus I have a lot of those for my new camera :)
nice lighting and quirky .... (y)
Any chance of a cutting David:) Clever interpretation, well done(y)
... no chance :D

Last edited:
Saw this in Hyde Park yesterday when on the lookout for a Vehicle! There's one or two things, including its off-topicness, that I wasn't too happy about, but the more I see it and the less I attempt to crop it, the more I like it. So here goes ...

Week 30 ~ Vehicle
EngT-gvJLOgf4f298kVgsYvpZCI5xCGbu8TEpEg3uZSe1YPecmvWltMEsRvGW7L1iyajoDzFW9otNfQpxNcHfgUdOsPebZUCrcJiK_FA5XPpo5jcE9bnytFw23f_dvhE8FYwsoRaoZhHJMB-JNJiVkUjj9hiWGcQjJaCyq_A1IO6wE8LDlpZusRKEidvavQDYR0SJBTXbQU4GAB6j05YhVjNuI6YMlaXWPMZix_kuoQWHCcX6Lbgu-tW0REovmkj3TQEjgzbnAf5vrqY5udXi5iaOtqQS8_QQQDMWpVm2MSohp1OHScj4IfVsjjqhNmGiViWH7LkgjvR0QmmmKTjAIHN6SJ--PjkfCkVb5a_Imef1f9Ibi7WuqrOsJkV51Mq9zbLnjDXhS4OfJkanF0FvWyspcYfCBBH4F4q1gEy4ESZNLsLG0mszY_AYzagyTbxrU_8C1tv8hv7U8huH280vcMfZ07U7UTKmP7QcnCXyOt2BpMIRFBE--WE21QS12JXwMHRolhSKx-tu7nrtji9SreVuxcDBw6Xizh2TkYqJPD1wCv0nIx0tTBjaJ-GiA9Q5zn6N_pcnkU15OJK-4G3WpY1TaOtIr0WF1Cn7VA51DT2jaInJKsqbgPti7KIAecbfp_gsA3RKI_A5w5vo5Iylq37OydJVj803s4DSYpKyojXbw=w1707-h887-no

Last edited:
Hmmm...I think you're right about not being quite on theme, but I'm so glad you didn't crop it. I really like the gap in the shadows at the front leading you in to their little world of sunshine between the trees. A lovely summer picture :)

Been a while since I've commented so trying to catch up a bit.

Graceful - Wouldn't have got the reference without reading some of the other comments but that doesn't matter. I like the choice of all the different things it is sitting on. I would maybe have liked some contact between the glasses and the book but it does work like this.
Fruit - I like that very much, nice DOF and the mix between the dark background and the bright top works for me.
Agriculture - Wish I had a plant like that! Very nice idea and well executed.
Vehicle - A charming photo with a lovely feel to it. I like the framing between the trees.

Just Googled it, a very nice shot of the Non-Motorised vehicle. Well caught too David having the mum lead her daughter on the horse.
Non-Motorised vehicle .. exactly ;) ... thanks Dave.
Hmmm...I think you're right about not being quite on theme, but I'm so glad you didn't crop it. I really like the gap in the shadows at the front leading you in to their little world of sunshine between the trees. A lovely summer picture :)
Thanks Emma ... I shot a few real vehicles passing through, and did it when the sun was behind clouds, as was the weather yesterday, but yes this turned out well ... their little world of sunshine between the trees ... nicely put.
On topic for me, like that a lot well spotted
Thanks Allan
Been a while since I've commented so trying to catch up a bit.

Graceful - Wouldn't have got the reference without reading some of the other comments but that doesn't matter. I like the choice of all the different things it is sitting on. I would maybe have liked some contact between the glasses and the book but it does work like this.
Fruit - I like that very much, nice DOF and the mix between the dark background and the bright top works for me.
Agriculture - Wish I had a plant like that! Very nice idea and well executed.
Vehicle - A charming photo with a lovely feel to it. I like the framing between the trees.
charming ... thanks Steve ..... and thanks for the commenting catch-up. Re Graceful ... I'm not happy, apart from anything else, the glasses are too prominent. Will do a proper graceful sometime soon.

Thank you Andrea @Manxmaid (y) I cropped a bit of road off the bottom, that's all. TBH I had the wrong lens with me, would have liked more reach.

Interestingly .... I was standing in pretty much the same spot as I was for THIS shot, seven months earlier.

Last edited:
Hi d00d what a difference the seasons make!
I really like your Vehicle ...it is a means of transport o_O lovely summery light shining through the trees.
Looking back ...my favourite has to be Tiny, you're the master of the peg shots :) Smoke is spot on and Graceful ....I never was any good at cryptic clues! Glad Allan gave it away. Fruit is bright, cheery, and summery, spot on depth of field and Agriculture, the money tree ...love it.

Thank you for the encouragement to get started again ...much appreciated :)

Thank you Andrea @Manxmaid (y) I cropped a bit of road off the bottom, that's all. TBH I had the wrong lens with me, would have liked more reach.

Interestingly .... I was standing in pretty much the same spot as I was for THIS shot, seven months earlier.

As Susie says, what a difference in the trees. You'd never think it was the same place :)

I had thought about using a horse photo, but wasn't sure if it was classed as a vehicle, I even looked it up In the dictionary, but was no closer to an answer. It seems that most others agree that it is, so i agree too.
It's well framed and that nice bit of light really focuses on the main subject.

I had thought about using a horse photo, but wasn't sure if it was classed as a vehicle, I even looked it up In the dictionary, but was no closer to an answer. It seems that most others agree that it is, so i agree too.
It's well framed and that nice bit of light really focuses on the main subject.
I would never have dreamt of using a horse photo, but I went out on a mission to get a vehicle photo and of all the photos I came back with, the horse photo was my favourite. So that the one I posted.;):)

Thanks ... glad you like it. (y)

Back