weekly d00d's 52 in 2017 ~ 51 Festive & 52 Weather

Mineral - Okay then d00d. Whose gearbox have you been taking apart for that shot?
I like the random placement. You've controlled the highlights well. I might have put them in some (mineral) oil though, rather than gravel.
No comment on the garlic ;)

Whole - Well captured, but to me, not inspiring. Not sure how else you would shoot it though.

Structure - So that's what DG was going on about in his blog. I like that. #1 for me. Even though it has more people, they aren't as intrusive as in the second shot.

What interesting art. Very colourful indeed. Both would work really well as long exposures to 'ghost' the people :)

Cheers.
Thanks, yeah, I agree.

Mineral - Okay then d00d. Whose gearbox have you been taking apart for that shot?
I like the random placement. You've controlled the highlights well. I might have put them in some (mineral) oil though, rather than gravel.
No comment on the garlic ;)

Whole - Well captured, but to me, not inspiring. Not sure how else you would shoot it though.

Structure - So that's what DG was going on about in his blog. I like that. #1 for me. Even though it has more people, they aren't as intrusive as in the second shot.
Thanks Tim

The gearbox was found inside an electric screwdriver. Nice props I thought, nice sand too, but I feel I could have done more with it. Another time.

Yes, I took many random shots in the tube stn., chose #1 because there's no one obscuring the mosaics.

Bus Routine .... you wait all day then ten come along at once.

Week 8 Routine
51szBEB53dgf8bumUaLsPfB3TW9C1u0aBrPpcHBNAX0jWYSY0OiS44QiKkvsf7tzOXzXeZhFlTzvNFd3GrL6CQJMPO8QwYURRJvCrkaayhSTGZQIn6WrreMMoLy85fKAp5SNADKYlTrcvb2AwME-hKzixq6iADVwnHFXbom4JAMfJwMoM0s6NTAXHx46kQlk5RiHMPGx29lQ1j6-_sNy3Voh7vdSS5NrQuge_PqR38Aig7oZKQcxKJJphBGpF_8Y9SGrTgkY_kYc4VCk0YL_GU8Ul3dM6uB2diiqi4HTE-RbSrV4RIZV6_-EDFSmDFJs7OS0MDNBsReDtJ2pLIG8sO3muxxXGAOv2ThgUUjS86wdTQ5d4r2m_sl4REeXoTeIT1L1ATKklaPEgLOgNZPADMQ7GH3MMWGC_Sw0wGmZn5jZVOF-KbjuTKe7w4HxL2q93fvVNnDmtzndwssBaNbgpOkKCT817krpaTFI5GhqfEmkyk2BopJXSOVwM0w6hPeQxWHVFfHZgDlQmH3IAODNGvM6swlcTn4tOIqb6F8G62Rs0hvPGRuvKPI_rVSIr_vJv3EkF33ImY7_XgNgZnt4AqfyBDzjKx_wiQDiafmbvawbg3M_U-Ck=w1692-h917-no

Perfect d00d, perfect amount of blur and I do get a bus every day to work a tedious routine indeed

routine - nice blur, obviously you used a tripod (or other fixed device), respect for the dedication to getting the shot :)

Great image for Routine love the motion blur of the bus going by.

The composition works really well for me and the red streak really pulls you into the image.

Routine is a great shot David, love the bus blur and the window that is TLHS of the blurry bus :)
(y) thanks David ... look closely and you can see the bus shelter and people on the the other side of the road.
Perfect d00d, perfect amount of blur and I do get a bus every day to work a tedious routine indeed
thanks Allan (y) ... true what you say but I was thinking more about the timetable, London Transport's programme.
Really really nice shot for Routine, I like that a lot.
Cheers Mark. (y)
routine - nice blur, obviously you used a tripod (or other fixed device), respect for the dedication to getting the shot :)
Thanks Dom (y) no tripod but pocket camera (G7X) between thumb & forefinger with the heel of my hand firmly against the pole/frame of bus shelter. Dedication? It's all in the planning ... knowing where & when to go, what camera to take etc.

Last edited:
i love everything about this. the motion of the bus, the static bus stop, the colours, the reflection of the wet road, the shops behind the bus. love love love love. well done.
Great motion blur on the bus, especially being red.

(y)(y)
Great image for Routine love the motion blur of the bus going by.

The composition works really well for me and the red streak really pulls you into the image.

Wow cheers guys (y)(y)(y)

Structure - nicely caught, I've always liked the effort they put into brightening up the underground stations.

Routine – far from it as far as the image is concerned, it is a great capture with the bus filling the frame up to the timetable with the “transparency” at the left and very well processed bringing out the bright colours, photo of the week for me I think

Hi David

Really liking your last three submissions.

Whole - the best perspective imo and I like the white of the bowl / cup inside with brown rim, complementary BG and nice detail in the nuts themselves. Not spectacular, but very on theme and very well executed.
Structure - Like both of these, including the story behind them. Both have really pleasing colours in the designs, but I'd have to go with the second for the additional symmetry and the guy in the middle clearly having a good old look at the subject!
Routine - nice sharp bus stop / timetable and a perfect SS to capture the blurred lines of the bus.

Well done.

Ian

routine is outstanding (y), i like the way you have enough blur but to see the background on the LHS as u look at it

Structure - nicely caught, I've always liked the effort they put into brightening up the underground stations.
Thanks ... Tottenham Court Rd Stn was decorated in the 70s with these mosaics, the station was rebuilt last year and some mosaics were destroyed but most survived. The station is bigger now and some artwork you now see is reproduce. I must look more closely next time to see what's what.

Routine – far from it as far as the image is concerned, it is a great capture with the bus filling the frame up to the timetable with the “transparency” at the left and very well processed bringing out the bright colours, photo of the week for me I think
Blimey Chris ... photo of the week .... thank you. :banana:

Love this one d00d ...really nicely done with the movement of the bus and that static timetable perfectly focused :clap:
:clap: ... thank you susie.

Nicely captured David. I like the detail that can be seen through the bus, such as the people standing at the other bus stop.
Thanks Tim ... I wish I knew what was going on over there, looks like there's some down on the pavement. o_O
Perfectly done - I especially like the view through the blur to the people on the pavement opposite :clap:
Thank you Emma :clap:

Hi David

Really liking your last three submissions.

Whole - the best perspective imo and I like the white of the bowl / cup inside with brown rim, complementary BG and nice detail in the nuts themselves. Not spectacular, but very on theme and very well executed.
Structure - Like both of these, including the story behind them. Both have really pleasing colours in the designs, but I'd have to go with the second for the additional symmetry and the guy in the middle clearly having a good old look at the subject!
Routine - nice sharp bus stop / timetable and a perfect SS to capture the blurred lines of the bus.

Well done.

Ian
Thanks so much Ian for your detailed crit of kind words. (y)

Routine is a great shot, love the movement of the bus against the static bus stop.
Cheers Steve.(y)

routine is outstanding (y), i like the way you have enough blur but to see the background on the LHS as u look at it
outstanding ... thanks so much Frank (y)

I like the first one, the square opening with the ppl walking though it gives the image depth.

Love the Routine shot, David. Just a pity the LH background building is showing through.
Thanks Stan (y)... but that's what others appear to like about it.
Perfectly executed shot David, reminds me of the bus in Harry Potter :D
Thanks Jill (y)... bus in Harry Potter ... had to google that ... a triple-decker! Hmmm now how can I create one of those?
Really like that too David, although the white sides look odd on my screen using dark mode, but still the blur on that bus couldn't be better, love it !!!
Cheers DK (y) ... my little G7X has a built in ND filter, really makes a difference.

Really great control of the DOF. I rather like the front ones. For me they identify that you've picked the Chanel out of the crowd.

I agree, very nicely captured and with sharp details and good light (courtesy of Chanel I assume :) ) being really picky I wonder if you could have centred the rear bottle between the front two but then I quite like the slight asymmetry because it shows the LSH of the bottle uninterrupted.

Number 5 good selective focus on the Chanel bottle, like the colour good and sharp, might of been better without the front two, unless it was a shop window shot :)
Thanks David (y)... not a shop window as such but a display within, I was told I could take pics but not to touch. I rather like the front two!
Really great control of the DOF. I rather like the front ones. For me they identify that you've picked the Chanel out of the crowd.
Thank you Granddad John. (y)
Really nicely done dood ...spot on focus with the Chanel bottle, excellent idea for the theme too.
Thanks susie (y) I knew I'd find something in and around Covent Garden, I'd just taken a shot of Fire Hose Reel No.7 (uploaded ~ Click the sig. link below), was standing outside Chanel thinking what next when it hit me ... No.5 was the very first present I bought for Ms d00d ... that'll do.
Nice idea David, liking the subtle colour of the image too, background is thrown out of focus just enough to not be interfering, like it (y)
Cheers DK (y)
Ooh, I like that David. Reminds me of the Marilyn Monroe quote :p
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius ...... " ... no not that one. The one about what to wear in bed! :D
I agree, very nicely captured and with sharp details and good light (courtesy of Chanel I assume :) ) being really picky I wonder if you could have centred the rear bottle between the front two but then I quite like the slight asymmetry because it shows the LSH of the bottle uninterrupted.
You spotted it Chris ... I took a few quick shots and thought I had it in the bag ... was so annoyed when I got home, loaded it on the pc to find the camera should have been about an inches over to my left. I used an 85mm prime on crop frame, had little room for manoeuvre, still TBH that's no excuse. Thanks (y)

Last edited:
Back